Password to unlock macOS or iOS app and MasterPassword different

Options
MartinKoob
MartinKoob
Community Member

I just changed my Master Password on the 1Password web site and I thought that I would use that new password to unlock 1Password on my Mac, iPhone or iPad. After setting the new MasterPassword I did have to enter the new password to access my account the first time I unlocked the macOS or iO app with the old password but when I need to unlock the 1Password app after that it still uses the old password. I would have thought they would all use the new password.

I have a family account and the same thing is happening with my wife's account. I changed her master password but that does not work to unlock the 1Password App on her mac.

I am using macOS 10 and Version 7 of 1Password which I upgraded from version 6. I have been upgrading from about version 4 I think.

Should the app unlocking password be the same as the Master Password? If so can you let me know how to make it so?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

1Password Version: 7.1.2 (70102000)
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:mac app password and master password different

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @MartinKoob! My guess is that you probably still have a Primary (standalone) vault in place. The 1Password native apps will use as the Master Password the password of the first vault you set up. So, when you go to create or change a 1password.com account, if you didn't choose the same one as the one you're using for your local, standalone data, you'll have two different Master Passwords. Obviously, this isn't something we recommend doing, but it's possible to do if you actually want to. However, if you'd like your local 1Password for Mac app to open with the same Master Password as your 1password.com account, you can either change the local Master Password via Preferences > Security > Change Master Password, or you can transfer any data still in your Primary vault that you need into one of your 1password.com account vaults, then remove the no-longer-needed Primary vault by clicking Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." That will remove the Primary and leave you running only your 1Password account -- with its Master Password. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.