Some iOS apps can't find their autofill logins in 1Password

dcoletta
dcoletta
Community Member
edited November 2018 in iOS

I have autofill enabled. For some iOS apps (e.g., NYTimes), when I get to the login screen and tap in the Email input field, 1Password suggests my login in the autofill section of the keyboard. For others (e.g., Safr), it does not.

For the apps that aren't showing the suggested login in the autofill section, is there something I can edit in the 1Password login entry to hook it up, or is this a problem that only the app developer can fix?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dcoletta: It sounds like the URL you have saved in your Login in 1Password doesn't match the URL where you're hoping to fill it. iOS 12 Password Autofill is pretty simple in that regard: it takes a username/password and domain, and will offer to fill the former on the latter. Let me know what you find.

• dcoletta
    dcoletta
    Community Member

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the login screen within an app, not in Safari. What URL should be saved in the login when the login screen is within an app?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dcoletta: Ah, thank you. I did misunderstand. Unfortunately I don't have any way of knowing what the "correct" URL would be. The app developer has to support the autofill feature, and as part of that they specify "Associated Domains" within their app. So if they support it, you'd need to use whatever URL they've specified. A good guess would be whatever domain the company owns, but you'd have to check with them to know for sure. Sorry. :blush:

• dcoletta
    dcoletta
    Community Member

OK, that makes sense. I looked through a lot of my apps, and so far I can only find this one app (Safr) that has this problem. I think it must be a problem with the app's associated domains list being incorrect or missing.

Thanks for your help -- good to know it's nothing I have to fix on my end.

• Thanks for the update. Indeed, unfortunately not all apps have updated for iOS 12 to add an appropriate associated domain yet.

Ben

• jaysqrd
    jaysqrd
    Community Member

Is there a way to just make 1password app ignore this? I have dozens of accounts that I never added a url to because the browser plugins were too annoying to work with in the past. Weirdly enough, this works as I want it too most times, there is a search box that allows me to select the right password.

• Weirdly enough, this works as I want it too most times, there is a search box that allows me to select the right password.

That will only happen in apps that don't have an Associated Domain defined, which should be the minority at this point.

Is there a way to just make 1password app ignore this?

There is not. It is a core part of how 1Password works.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It is a core part of how 1Password works.

Also iOS. Apple tells developers to add associated domains so that their Password Autofill feature can not only match them for convenience but also security. I'd guess that they will make this mandatory in the future, but there's no good reason not to do it now. It's just better for everyone.

This discussion has been closed.