1P 7 not installing from backup on iOS 11

Markie
Markie
Community Member

Hello all.

My wife’s iPhone running iOS 11 recently went in for repairs and ended up being replaced with a new phone. We backed it up in iTunes prior to sending it off, and the replacement is the same model (7).

Her backup from iTunes included 1P v7, but it refuses to install. It launches the App Store to get the app, but it’s a more recent version requiring iOS 12.

Can someone tell me how I can get the correct (previous) version installed?

Thanks,

Markie

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Markie: Unfortunately that's not something we can fix for you. I have some suggestions, but ultimately you may need help from Apple since iOS and the App Store (and the whole iCloud/iTunes backup/restore process) are owned and operated solely by them.

First, I'd start with updating the phone. If it's new, it should be able to run iOS 12. That will also allow her to install the latest version of 1Password, which is pretty sweet (some great new features there enabled by Apple's latest OS).

Failing that, the App Store will allow installation of the newest compatible version from the Apple ID purchase history. So make sure you're using using the correct Apple ID -- the one originally used for the purchase -- and grab it there:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272#apps

It will still show as version 7, but when you attempt to install it from the purchase history on a device that is running an older OS, it will show you a message telling you so and give you the option to download the previous version instead.

Otherwise, if she had not purchased a recent version of 1Password (since 2012 or so), she'll need to do so using another device running iOS 12 or in iTunes a computer. That will get it in the purchase history, and then what I mentioned above will work. Apple just will not let you initially "purchase" an app on a device that is not compatible.

• Markie
    Markie
    Community Member

Brenty,

Thank you for the comprehensive response. I was able to download the older version from the old purchases once I figured out how to manage the AppleIDs appropriately.

Happy wife, happy life. :-)

Markie

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Thanks for the update. It sounds like life should be happy from here on out then, but if either of you have a question about 1Password in the future we're here for you. ;)

This discussion has been closed.