I cannot open Knox, MacOS 10.13.6

ptbaldwinptbaldwin Junior Member

I cannot open Knox, I'm running MacOS 10.13.6 What can I do?

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@ptbaldwin: Can you elaborate? What do you mean by "cannot open"? What's happening exactly? I've upgraded to Mojave, but I was using Knox on High Sierra for over a year without an issues. Let me know.

• ptbaldwinptbaldwin Junior Member

Same here, but I have rarely used it recently. Now it fails to open—nothing happens when I try to launch Knox. I’m setting up a new Mac (running Mojave) and need to retrieve the info stored in Knox on my old one. I just need a way to do that, so if there is a way to access the files I’ll be fine.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@ptbaldwin: It's worth a try installing a fresh copy of Knox, as it may just be damaged:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/KNOX

But regardless, Knox volumes are fully readable by macOS; just double-click them in Finder and enter your password, and you should be good to go. :)

• @brenty Hi there - I'm also experiencing this issue... on macOS Mojave 10.14.1. The app does not appear to launch when opening in Finder, but I do see it running in Activity Monitor, which I discovered when attempting to replace the app with a fresh copy. As you mentioned, the Knox volumes do open when double-clicking in Finder, but the prompt to unlock is a macOS system tool rather than the Knox app, which happens regardless of whether Knox is "running" as viewed in Activity Monitor. The "Get Info" window on a Knox volume reports the Kind as "Sparse Disk Image Bundle" set to "Open with:" DiskImageMounter.app (default) on my system. I am able to select the Knox app in the "Open with:" dropdown menu and change the Kind to "Knox Vault" -- after taking this action, double-clicking on a Knox volume in Finder then prompts to unlock with the Knox app password window, but the app still does not appear as opened in the any of the Dock or Finder UIs. Changes made to Knox volumes while they are mounted are still being saved. Hope these additional details are helpful!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I'm not sure what to tell you. It works fine on Mojave here. Since it was discontinued years ago there won't be any updates to it anyway. So I'm glad to hear that you're not also having trouble opening Sparsebundles on your Mac, as that would be a much bigger problem.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file