Why does 1Password change the transparency of recently used icons when I use them on new Vaults?

leturner
leturner
Community Member

I'm upgrading from stand alone and migrating Dropbox vaults to my 1P.com acct. However when I create new vaults and try to add recently used custom icons 1P 'fades out' the original icon when it applies it to the vault icon space (poss. by increasing transparency?).

Attached image shows a 2nd vault attempt with a cub scout icon:

• scout icon selected - but faded version applied when I clicked 'Done' button (screenshot from revisit to 'Recents' after icon applied)
  • top left Eagle icons of Recent icon library shows result of 1st Vault attempt: Dark eagle original left, faded version 1P applied apparently saved.

If I upload icons again from original source files on computer 1P doesn't change them.

Please help. I don't have all the original icons I used before - would like to just reuse what I had.

Thanks.

Lyle

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 7.2.2
OS Version: OS x 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1password.com & dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:recent vault icons

Comments

• leturner
    leturner
    Community Member

Follow up info: after further testing, more weirdness ...

The fading only happens to the eagle, cub scout, and SSDS icons in Recents!?!
    The Pandora, Act Blue, and three family face pictures (I edited out of sample screenshot) applied fine.

Sooo ... maybe file format related?

• I believe there eagle, cub scout and SSDS source files were png (and had a transparency applied to background)
    • Others were gif or jpg source files

Hope that helps debug issue

• Hi @leturner

I've very sorry that we haven't replied to this thread sooner. I've spoken with QA and we are looking into this issue. It appears there may have recently been some code written to address this but I can't say for sure. We'll talk to development soon and if what they've already written doesn't address this we'll file an issue for further investigation.

Again my apologies for the delay.

Ben

• leturner
    leturner
    Community Member

Thanks Ben,

Look forward to hearing more.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@leturner - on behalf of Ben, you're quite welcome. Stay tuned! :)

• My guess is that those specific images have some percentage of transparency, and that makes them appear different when drawn over a black background vs a white background.

Can you copy the image file and open it in Preview? If so, do that and then in Preview > Preferences... > General, adjust the window background color to see how it looks under different combinations.

• If you drag the logo from https://cubscouts.org/ onto the logo area of the vault edit sheet it should work correctly.

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

A follow-on to this, I have noticed recently that this issue is also affecting icons added to 1Password for Logins.

Previously I had been using a PNG with a transparent background for a particular login. However I have noticed recently that the transparency is gone and has been replaced by a black background.

If I attempt to replace the icon with the PNG again, you will see that it correctly appears with a transparent background when it is added to 1Password.

However when it is saved, the transparency is then replaced with black.

I'm using 1Password 1Password 7.2.4 on Max OS Mojave 10.14.2

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Martok - Are you using Dark Mode in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”)?

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

@Lars no I am not.

• @Martok

Would you be able to post the image (PNG) in question?

Ben

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

@Ben one of them is attached.

I've actually tried it with several other PNG versions of the logo that were created in Photoshop and all do the same thing.

• Thanks @Martok. I was able to see the same thing you're seeing with my setup. I'm going to file an issue with development for further investigation.

Ben

ref: apple-2990

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

@Ben thank you.

Is there a way of removing an image altogether and reverting to the default symbol(s) (the grey keyhole and the key)? I can only seem to change an image to another one, not remove it completely.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Martok - not at this time, unfortunately. If it really bothers you, you could delete the current Login item and re-create it.

• @Martok

Alternatively, you could apply this image as the icon. This is the same icon that 1Password.com uses for Login items. Unfortunately I think you'll have the same trouble with the transparency.

Ben

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

@Lars thanks. Seems an odd omission to not be able to remove an image icon altogether. Can this be put down as a suggestion for a future version, please?

@Ben thanks. Do you also have the image for passwords (the key)?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Martok - Sure, absolutely. I can't say when you might see such a thing in our stable version, because in the grand scheme of things, this one is comparatively lower priority than some other things our development team is working on, but I will certainly mention your wishes. Thanks! :)

• Hi folks.

A small update here. I've spoken with our design team, and the way this is currently being handled is intentional. The difficulty is that some percentage of customers (hard to say what that percentage might be, but the guess is that it is the majority) doesn't have well thought out and well designed icons to apply. They're applying things they're finding on the web, photos they've taken, etc. These images are often times not optimized for display in the app in the way the one @Martok posted might be. To bring some balance and consistency to the way these are displayed there is a treatment being applied. Basically this is "working as intended." That said I did suggest that there are folks who do have well thought out icons that they are trying to apply and this treatment is causing the opposite of the desired effect (things look worse instead of better). We're going to do some brainstorming on how we might better make a determination as to if such a treatment needs to be applied or not, based on the image selected.

I can't make any promises at this point, and as Lars said there are already a fair number of higher priority irons in the fire, but hopefully this is something we can put further consideration toward in the future.

Ben

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

@Ben thanks for the update.

Thanks also for the image of the 1Password lock. Do you also have the image for passwords (the key)?

• To remove a custom icon, enter edit mode, select the icon, and press the delete key on your keyboard.

This discussion has been closed.