2 versions of 1password

Options
Mash
Mash
Community Member

Hi, hope someone can help me out.

Back in 2014 I purchased the 1password Mac and iOS app. This was, at the time, an app with no subscription just one time pay.
This is today version 6.8.8 on my Mac.

Last year my work place started using 1password. This is the subscription service for 1password 7.

On my Mac, which already had my old personal 1password installed, I managed to merge it with my work place 1password 7.

However, now I got a new Mac (running High Sierra) and I can't seem to get my personal 1password on this new Mac.
My work place 1password 7 was no problem. (Btw in the Mac App Store I could only download the new 1password 7)

I would like to merge my personal 1password with my work place 1password again. How do I do that?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: High Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Mash! I'm sorry for the confusion/difficulty.

I would like to merge my personal 1password with my work place 1password

Let's take a step or two back, since I don't think you really want to merge your personal, private 1Password data into your company's 1Password Teams account...right? I think (though correct me if I'm wrong?) that you mean: you'd like to use 1Password 7 for Mac on your new Mac, both your existing standalone (personal) data as well as your 1Password Teams account from your work. Is that correct?

in the Mac App Store I could only download the new 1password 7.

This isn't the case. You can't download anything but the current version from the main Mac App Store window, but if you're signed into the Mac App Store on a new Mac with the same Apple ID you previously used to purchase or download the previous version of 1Password, you can open the Purchased section of your Mac App Store account, and see (and re-install) all your previous purchases there, including the older 1Password for Mac. I wouldn't necessarily recommend installing a now-retired version of 1Password for Mac, however.

And you shouldn't need to install a previous version, anyway. 1Password 7 for Mac is a new version, and as such it requires a new license (meaning your older purchase doesn't apply to 1Password 7 for Mac). But if you have a 1password.com account (even through your work), that will also work to authorize 1Password 7 for Mac, since all of our apps are included with every 1password.com membership.

You can click Preferences > Advanced and check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will require your Master Password (the one you use for work), and then it will create a new, standalone Primary vault, which will also require you to enter a NEW Master Password. I'd choose either the same one you use at work, or, if you prefer, use the old one you were previously using on your standalone setup. Don't confuse things by choosing a third one. Once Primary is set up, you can import or sync to your older local data. How were you previously syncing your data? Dropbox? iCloud? Something else?

This discussion has been closed.