Support migrating a Business account from .com to .eu (GDPR)

Options

We run an account and wish to move from .com to the .eu domain for compliance with GDPR.

Has anyone else completed this recently? Any tips or pitfalls to avoid, or help for end users we should make sure they know about?

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.2 (70202006)
Extension Version: Chrome, 4.7.3.90
OS Version: macOS
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:migrate from 1password.com to 1password.eu

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

To clarify, it isn't possible for an account to be migrated from one server to another, as 1Password.com and 1Password.eu (and 1Password.ca) are all completely separate -- otherwise there would be no difference between them at all, and you wouldn't be doing this.

I don't think that's what you're asking though. As a practical matter, each user will need to be invited to the new company plan on the other server, and after they setup their accounts, they can sign into them in the app (along with the original) top copy data from vaults in one to the other:

https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/

Certainly if you have a lot of employees, that's a lot of moving; but no one person has to do it, and it will probably take each individual just a few minutes. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• wondercol
    wondercol
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,

Thanks for this! Also for noting my inefficient questioning around migration - you are correct in what we are looking to do.

Looks like these should be next steps - feel free to help keep me right:

1. Setup new .eu vault, invite all existing users (would need to get some billing help here to avoid duplication of cost)
    2. End users then drag/drop their personal vault from .com to .eu vault
    3. Replicate vault setup in .eu account, admins move all items from .com to .eu
    4. Retire .com vaults

Am I missing anything?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wondercol: Likewise, thanks for bearing with me. It's a complex issue. I think you're on the right track here. Just a few notes:

1) Setup new .eu vault, invite all existing users (would need to get some billing help here to avoid duplication of cost)

I wouldn't even worry about this. Just do the best you can, and we can help you sort it out at business@1password.com -- keep in mind the new account will have a 30 day trial, so that gives you some breathing room. :)

2) End users then drag/drop their personal vault from .com to .eu vault

Not quite drag and drop with vaults. Vaults themselves cannot be moved/copied, only the data within them. So it's good to verify first that you have all the vaults (and permissions) you need on the new account before doing this step.

3) Replicate vault setup in .eu account, admins move all items from .com to .eu

I'd switch this with #2. It won't matter in all cases, but for some data copied to a wrong vault (or a vault without the permissions you need) can be disastrous -- for example if it allows someone access to data they should not have.

4) Retire .com vaults

:) :+1:

But worth mentioning, even after it's cancelled you don't need to delete the old account immediately. Even frozen, you'll be able to access your data until you're certain that all your employees are good to go on the new account -- at which point you can delete the old one. :)

• wondercol
    wondercol
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi @brenty,

I've emailed business@1password a couple of times now regarding this - is there a SLA within which I should expect a response?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry about that. It looks like you emailed the generic address initially, and it ended up in the wrong place. We'll get back to you shortly.

ref: JHR-89193-233

This discussion has been closed.