Really need the option of deleting one or restoring multiple items from the trash!

crisps_for_breakfast
crisps_for_breakfast
Community Member

Currently, despite it being requested multiple times for over 5 years, it appears that there is no option to remove one individual item from the trash. I simply cannot understand the design decision behind this.. particularly as the restore function ONLY works on an individual basis!

As the trash is shared across the vault users, all it takes is one other user to leave something in the trash and I effectively cannot permanently delete ANYTHING without making a decision on the item trashed by another user.

This renders the trash worse than useless, it would be better to have no trash at all and just a heavy warning on delete. That way our users would be forced to archive things that they aren't sure about deleting in other vaults/tags.

It also appears that moving items between vaults also adds them to the first vaults trash. If they are then moved back, the items in the trash remain so are now duplicates. All this adds to the confusion of the trash.

Utterly baffled!

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Delete 1 item from trash

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the confusion and bafflement. Unfortunately just because a change is requested more than once that does not mean we will do it. Certainly this comes up from time to time, but we have to weigh any work we consider taking on against the feedback we get from all 1Password users. And certainly some people make an "Archive" vault like you describe, if that fits their workflow.

The 1Password app also isn't designed to be used by multiple people. It's best to take advantage of the OS's multi user support, so that each person has their own 1Password setup (and browser, Desktop, etc.)

Anyway, this just isn't something we have plans for at this time. Nothing is set in stone though. We'll continue to evaluate feedback from you and everyone else as we develop future versions. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your trash preferences. :)

• RandyVT
    RandyVT
    Community Member

PLEASE add my voice to those who want you to change your "set in stone" ignoring of this issue. I think it utterly reasonable and indeed helpful, to be able to delete or restore items from the trash, one-by-one, two at a time, or whatever. All or nothing is unacceptable. If indeed you somehow think the lack of being able to keep one's vault organized and cleaned up this way, how about explaining how your team does it? multiple vaults? Move everything back from the trash, then redelete them one-by-one and empty the trash? use quick delete? Please provide a strategy that works in response to these requests, or move this on to "plans for at this time."

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RandyVT: I think you misunderstood. What I said was,

this just isn't something we have plans for at this time. Nothing is set in stone though. We'll continue to evaluate feedback from you and everyone else as we develop future versions.

Your comments are interesting as well. We don't hear from a lot of people who try to organize their trash, but it's something we'll keep in mind. Thanks for your input. :)

This discussion has been closed.