Dropbox Sync with iPhone/iPad, no Mac

Is it possible to generate the encryption keys without the mac version of 1password? I only need to sync between my iPad and iPhone

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Hi ramarnat,

You will need to download the trial version of 1Password in order to setup the sync mechanism. It does some of the backend work required for setting up the Dropbox sync.

You will not need to keep the Mac app, though we hope you may see its benefits and some day decide to purchase it. However once you have the Dropbox sync setup you are free to delete the app from your Mac as it will no longer be required to sync between the iOS devices.

This link may benefit you in helping get started https://onepassword-osx.tenderapp.com/kb/syncing/how-to-enable-quick-and-automatic-1password-data-sync-with-dropbox
  • ok, I have the mac version, but was trying to set this up for my dad. Will try and figure out how to temporarily use my mac to set it up for him.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2012
    The easiest way I can think of do do this...

I am assuming by your post you are trying this remotely :D
    Set up a second account on your Mac or Login into your Mac under the guest user account (you will not be able to log out until it is done thats why I mentioned a new user account), setup 1P, you will have to download the dropbox app and link it to his account.
    Setup the sync using a blank keychain, though you will need to have his keychain password and make this blank one identical to his own (i.e. password)
    setup the sync on his iOS devices and they should populate the keychain with any stored data. As a safety measure I would use the iOS Backup feature built into 1P to back up the datafile prior to setting up the sync. Its always better to be safe than sorry.

Once its done you can delete the user account you created on your Mac (i.e. the one just to set up this sync NOT YOUR OWN)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2012
    I think Tommy pretty much summed it up, but just to make sure:

The initial setup of Dropbox syncing requires the installation of 1Password for Mac or Windows (along with the Dropbox application) on your Mac or PC. However, once you've got Dropbox syncing set up and working correctly, you can uninstall 1Password and Dropbox from your computer if you would like to do so.

The Dropbox application is always free, and you can use the free trial of 1Password to perform the steps required:

http://agilebits.com/downloads

Our Dropbox sync guide will walk you through the entire process:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html

We hope you will see the value of having your 1Password data available on your Mac or PC for quickly filling your credentials on websites with a single keystroke (among other things) and decide to purchase a license, but you are under no obligation. :)
This discussion has been closed.