To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Is having an "account" the same as a "membership?"

maxglitz
maxglitz
Community Member

Pre-purchcase question: Is having an "account" the same as having a "membership?" The 2 words never show up on the same page when I try to review pricing on the site, etc.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @maxglitz,

It is possible to have an account with us without having an active membership. You can start your account as a free trial and then after 30 days your account will freeze. You can also stop your membership at any point and your account will go into the same frozen state.

A frozen account goes into a "read-only" mode where you still have access to passwords and items you created, but you can't create or edit any passwords or items.

Hopefully that clears things up, please let us know if you have any questions.

• maxglitz
    maxglitz
    Community Member

One more question, if they're two different things rather than terms used interchangeably for the same thing: What does the Account involve and what does a Membership involve? What's the difference? That's really where my confusion lies. FYI I would intend to pay the monthly fee, likely in one yearly clump, and have access to your server's functions, rather than just buy the app solo.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2018

An account is a unit within a membership. Some memberships may have multiple accounts within them. The membership is the level at which the subscription exists... the membership has a subscription. If the subscription is not in good standing then all of the accounts within that membership are frozen. If the membership's subscription is in good standing then everyone with an account in that membership has full access to 1Password.

In the case of an individual membership, since only one account can exist within, there really isn't much if any distinction that needs to be made.

Does that make sense?

Ben

• maxglitz
    maxglitz
    Community Member

Just barely. I never underestimate the ability of companies to create levels of confusion for what should be simple rather than clever. Thanks.

• If you have suggestions as to how we could clarify this we'd be open to hearing them. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.