1Password getting slow in the latest release of ios 12

Options
matkonkol
matkonkol
Community Member

Hello Folks,

I've noticed that with the latest upgrade of IOS to 12.1 my 1Password started to have problems with fast accessing and display of any items in my vault. What I see is that once I log into 1password, and I click on an item in my vault (credit card details, login, etc.) 1password freezes for ~7-10s before showing the actual details of the item I've clicked.

Anybody has seen the same behaviour? Any ideas on why is that happening, and how to fix it?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 12.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:degradation of performance ios 12

Comments

• fatoink
    fatoink
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I'm seeing the same both on the iPhone and iPad as well.

• cappadona
    cappadona
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. iOS 12.1 and 1Password 7.2.2

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've only personally seen a delay when searching, and that's an issue we're investigating. Can you be more specific?

• fatoink
    fatoink
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, when searching, it's taking much longer than usual to complete.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fatoink: Is it only when searching? What are the iOS and 1Password versions you're using? Do you use local vaults, 1Password.com, or both?

• jsamuelson
    jsamuelson
    Community Member
    Options

So slow when searching. This coupled with the constant demanding of my long master password by the extension - I’ve just disabled autofill and now using keychain which is fast in the browser, but doesn’t support 2fa except when it’s via sms. Wish this could be fixed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jsamuelson:

1. We're investigating what's delaying search.
    2. iOS 12 Password Autofill does not use the 1Password extension; it's an iOS feature. If you're using the 1Password extension, that will respect your auto-lock settings in 1Password; you can customize those. If you're using iOS Autofill, it should only ask you for your Master Password the first several times; after that, you can use Touch ID, which will prompt each time you try to fill.
    3. I don't understand your "2fa" comment. 1Password doesn't use SMS. Can you clarify? It doesn't sound like something that needs to be "fixed" in 1Password, but I'm listening.
  • jsamuelson
    jsamuelson
    Community Member
    Options

I was highlighting a shortcoming of iOS keychain autofill which is lack of 2fa support except where it’s sent by sms. We’ve discussed the constant request for the master password in another post. It’s both the extension and autofill that request it more than is reasonable.

Bottom line - I use 1Password as a password database system, as with autofill it simply causes more hassle than its worth. I now save a subset of frequently used passwords in the keychain.

• Ben
    Options

We have an option for Password AutoFill where any items that have TOTP enabled will copy the current TOTP code to your clipboard. You can enable that in 1Password > Settings > Password AutoFill.

Ben

• DAD
    DAD
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing this as well. Specifically search, which is painfully slow. I've also noticed this at times when using another app and clicking passwords - this can take a long time as well. I suspect behind the scenes it is searching for websites that match the app.

• Ben
    Options

@DAD,

Are you using a 1Password.com membership? If so do you have a vault called "Primary" (in 1Password > Settings > Vaults)? And if so is that intentional?

Ben

• omrih
    omrih
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben : I was having the same issue and had an old Primary local vault on my phone from before I was using 1password.com account.
    Deleting it and restarting 1password seem to have resolved my search slowness, at least for now.

• Ben
    Options

Great. Thanks for the update @omrih. :)

Ben

• DAD
    DAD
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben - I have a 1Password.com membership. I do have a Primary showing up as well. I thought I had deleted the Primary some time ago, so it is not intentional.

I'm going to delete it now and see if that makes the performance any better.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @DAD. Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• KrisG
    KrisG
    Community Member
    Options

I also have extreme problems with both iphone SE and ipad pro running ios12. Search is beyond slow and even when it does find something if you click on it you have another 20-30 second wait before the item is shown on screen and often another list is shown inbetween. I am running using a Primary vault synched in icloud. This is completely deliberate and I do not wish to use a personal vault on an agile server. The reason is that I am not sure I will extend my subscription beyond this year as it is so expensive and offers so little that I value. I really need a solution to the speed problem which does not involve abandoning my primary database.
    It would be nice to synch my primary to a personal vault just as a kind of backup in the meantime.

• DAD
    DAD
    Community Member
    Options

After removing the Primary vault, since I'm a 1Password.com user, my search is now pretty responsive. This resolved my problem. Thank you @Ben for the assistance.

• Ben
    Options

@KrisG

Our development team is looking into the issue for those who are intentionally keeping the Primary vault. Removing it is the recommended solution for folks who didn't realize they still had it after migrating to 1Password.com or don't need it.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @DAD. Glad that worked.

Ben

• KrisG
    KrisG
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Ben, thank you for confirming that the dev team is working on a solution. In the mean time I don’t mind deleting my primary vault if you can tell me how to migrate my up to date primary vault with a pre-existing but now not up to date personal vault. This assumes it is also possible to migrate back to a primary vault.
    Thanks

• Ben
    Options

@KrisG

Is there currently anything in the Personal vault that wouldn't be in the current Primary vault? If not I'd suggest emptying the Personal vault and then copying everything from the Primary vault over to it. Then you can delete the Primary vault. Yes, it is possible to migrate back to a Primary vault if that is ever necessary, though we highly recommend against it when using 1Password.com (regardless of this bug).

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hey @Jools912

Thanks for the feedback. The long and short of it is: legacy. When we first created 1Password it only supported one vault (which later became the "Primary" vault when we introduced multiple vault support). Unfortunately we never got away from that model and it seems unlikely at this point that we'll ever get away from it. But that's a bit of a tangent anyway as the real issue is any standalone vaults at all, not necessarily the fact that one of them is the Primary vault. If you aren't in a position to get away from the standalone vaults at this point unfortunately I don't have a workaround to offer right now. Our development team is looking into the issue, though. I'm sorry I don't have more to offer.

Ben

• dickbob
    dickbob
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that deleting the Primary Vault solved my iSO 12 slowness/crash issues when tapping into the detail of an item.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad that you were able to find a workaround for yourself. We'll see what we can figure out to prevent anyone having strange issues like this.

• stvwilcdf
    stvwilcdf
    Community Member
    Options

Slow for me too. Not just search. Sometimes unresponsive for anything up to a minute. I did have a Primary vault, left over from before I became a subscriber, so took a copy of the file then deleted the vault from 1Password. That seemed to work, as others reported, but only for a short while. Within about five minutes the app reverted to its previous sluggish responses. I get that it has been flagged and a solution is being worked on, and maybe I should have reported this sooner, but without a timeframe for a fix this is unusable and therefore unacceptable for a paid service IMO.

• Ben
    Options

@stvwilcdf

Please makesure you have a copy of your Emergency Kit handy and then uninstall & reinstall 1Password:

Please let me know how that turns out. Unfortunately if that does not resolve the problem it is likely that we'll need to wait for a fix from development to address this.

Ben

• mrlawson
    mrlawson
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issues, it got much better after deleting all my vaults and re-adding them. However, now it is back to it's slow self. I just now experimented how long it took after searching "Freshdesk", it pulling up my 7 or so entries related to freshdesk, and clicking one of them. So far I've been waiting 2.5 minutes for it to open a single login. I gave up, closed the app, re-opened it, and it was much faster. But it isn't always fast even after closing and reopening. @stvwilcdf should I just wait for the next version of 1Password iOS to come out? I have everything upgraded to the latest version.

• Ben
    Options

@mrlawson,

Our development team is aware of that difficulty and are working on a fix. Unfortunately I couldn't say when exactly to expect that, but it is something we're working diligently on. At this point if you've already tried uninstalling & reinstalling it seems the only resolution is going to be waiting for a fix in the form of an update.

Ben

• stvwilcdf
    stvwilcdf
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben. I deleted 1P app from my iPad, reinstalled and synced as you suggested. All data back in place and it does indeed seem zippier now! A slight lag with displaying some cards after I editing a few but on the whole much better. On my iPhone, which has been left alone, complete with "local" vaults stored on dropbox, the symptoms are still present (I mention this for comparison; now I know a workaround I'll uninstall and download on my iPhone too). Will monitor over the next few days and report back if anything changes. I didn't like deleting an app I rely on and use daily, having to trust all my crucial data would come back, so I don't see this as an ideal way of getting around the issue but I trust you will prioritise the fix as the impact of this issue is considerable on those affected (hopefully only a few!).

@mrlawson - only you can decide if the wait is worth it! I guess it depends on how much you rely on the app versus how much pain it is currently causing you. Good luck with your decision :-) Could maybe use web access for the time being whilst Agilebits rushes out a solution?

This discussion has been closed.