syncing iPhone Xs

jpaulsokal
jpaulsokal
Community Member

I was syncing my iPhone Xs with my MacBook Pro and after the sync completed I began hitting the left pointing arrows at top left on the iPhone and immediately returned to the prior page requesting which device did I want to sync from. That page had no way to work back into the app. No arrow and no swiping would get me out. I quit the app and tried again, but the page was stuck. I shut the iPhone down and restarted the phone and then 1Password and the sync had been successful. Pretty kludgy method.
I'm using 1Password 6.8.8 on the Mac and 7.2.2 on the iPhone.

1Password Version: see above
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Wlan

Comments

• Hi @jpaulsokal

Thanks for reporting this. We are aware of that particular difficulty. At present our development is pretty well focused on 1Password.com and I'm not aware of any improvements planned for WLAN sync, but I will certainly mention this to development so if that changes we can consider improving this.

Ben

• Koueasu
    Koueasu
    Community Member

Thanks for sharing .i have never met this particular difficulty yet.

• :+1:

Ben

• LarryP
    LarryP
    Community Member

I am experiencing the same problem on my iPhone 8. The workaround for me is to kill the app -- double click home button, then swipe the app up till it disappears from the list. This is a little easier than restarting your phone.

Ben, I appreciate that your team is busy but would like to point out that this is not a request for an improvement in WLAN sync; this is a bug report. When you have a screen that you can't get off except by crashing the app, that's a bug. It used to work, but I can't say in which update it started to fail.

• I understand, @LarryP. I'm just trying to set realistic expectations here. WLAN sync is the least used sync option that we offer by a large margin in addition to being the most complex to set up and maintain. Considering that, and the fact that there is a workaround for this bug, it isn't something that is likely to be addressed in the immediate future. As much as I'd love to be able to say that any bug that is reported would be fixed, and would be fixed within a short timeframe, unfortunately that isn't realistic. We have limited resources and have to focus on improvements that will offer the most benefit to the largest number of customers. That isn't to say that we're ignoring this issue. I'm hopeful that we will be able to address it, but I can't make any promises as to when that might happen.

Ben

• LarryP
    LarryP
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Thanks for the response Ben. I do understand. I am fine with the current state, the workaround is easy enough (if just a little bit irritating :'( ). But I am a little concerned about your comments regarding WLAN being low priority. I and maybe a few other of your customers will never use a password sync tool that syncs to the cloud. No matter how secure the cloud sync solution is I think there is always a risk. And as I understand it, WLAN sync is the only 1Password sync that syncs locally (am I right?). Will 1Password continue to support WLAN?

--Larry

• You are correct that the WLAN server is the only way to sync 1Password data between a Mac and iOS devices locally. We don't have any plans to remove that functionality.

Ben

• Hi everyone. I have a workaround to share on this. It seems that uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password on iOS resolves the issue. The key thing is to make sure that all of your data is available on the computer first, though, as doing this will erase all 1Password data from the iOS device.

Ben

• jpaulsokal
    jpaulsokal
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    I synced tonight, using the WLAN sync and did not experience the earlier problem. I subsequently did delete the app and reinstall, as you suggested. Everything looks fine. Thanks.
    I would like to second LarryP in that I would never trust this precious data about my passwords to the cloud. I have been a user for quite a few years ever since the folks at TidBits recommended your software. At the time an additional consideration was that you were not a US company and we trusted you Canadians more than our own companies and government. ;>)
    Thanks fixing this.
    Paul

• Thanks @jpaulsokal. Just to be clear, though, regardless of how you sync 1Password your data is end-to-end encrypted. It isn't as if we're allowing customers to just throw their plain-text passwords up on a server somewhere. Our entire reputation is built on keeping this data safe, and we've got over a decade of experience doing it. :)

You can read about how 1Password.com protects your data here:

About the 1Password security model

Ben

This discussion has been closed.