The synchronisation between devices is very slow and currently not working. Any ideas?

KingMinion
KingMinion
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for some time now with no issues, but recently I've noticed a real lag in the applications syncing abilities. It takes a while for the sync to reflect changes made on another device. Recently, I've noticed that it is not syncing at all although the app says it has sync'd. I recently updated an entry on an iPhone version (latest version), and when I open up 1Password on a MacOS (latest version) it sync, but the changes do not get reflected in the entry. Have tried killing the apps altogether, but its not working. Any ideas why this is happening all of a sudden and why we are seeing a lag in sync times?

1Password Version: 6.8.9 (689000)
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:sync

Comments

• KingMinion
    KingMinion
    Community Member

Ok, just an update on this. As is normally the case, as soon as you report anything to support, the thing starts working. :-)

Devices appear to be sync'd now. It's taken a long time though so the performance of the sync is still a concern. I also noted an entry now has a new section suggesting conflict. This is strange and I've never had this before. I wonder if this is as a result of the delays to the sync between devices? Why do I now have the app telling me there is a conflict, and therefore keeps both old and new sections within the same entry.

• Conflicts generally result from an item being in edit mode on multiple devices before they are able to sync. I wouldn't be too concerned with that unless it starts happening more frequently. If it does then you may have internet connectivity issues on one or more of the devices.

As for the slowness... I'd recommend resetting sync:

1. Make sure all changes have synced beween your devices
    2. Follow the instructions here: https://support.1password.com/icloud-troubleshooting/#step-5-reset-icloud-data-in-1password

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

I would like to add that for the past week or so, I have noticed exactly the same issue. Whereas I had gotten used to sync taking seconds, it now can take minutes. I run 1Password on iOS, macOS and Windows 10 and have noticed the slow syncing on all of the devices.

It's a bit random, so I'm not sure how much I can generalize, but what I have noticed is that the original edit gets pushed to the 1Password cloud quickly enough, but it takes its sweet time being pushed to other devices.

I'm wondering if you have cloud latency issues you aren't aware of (yet).

Dave Ings

• Hi @ings

Without any background information it is difficult to assess what the difficulty you might be having is. Could you please let us know what version of 1Password you're running on each of your devices, and what sync service you're using?

Thanks.

Ben

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hi @Ben,

I'm using the latest released versions on all platforms. I'm using your sync service (i.e. I'm a family subscriber) with myself and one other family member registered.

It literally happened just now. I made an edit on macOS 1Password, under my userid, but when I switched to my spouse's userid it took several minutes for the edit to arrive in her instance of 1Password. In fact I had to completely exit and restart her instance of 1Password to force the sync.

Before I forced the restart I checked, using the Cloud interface (xxxxxx.1password.com) and the edit was indeed immediately pushed to the cloud. What seemed to fail was the push to other instance.

Dave Ings

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

On other thought: on my iMac I concurrently run two userids (mine and my spouse's) and VMWare running Windows 10, each (three in total) running an instance of 1Password. Is it possible your notification framework is getting confused by three instances of 1Password on one physical device? (But note it's only recently I've experienced any glitches.)

This is NOT a big deal to me - it's a bit random - just thought you'd appreciate hearing about it in case others are reporting similar symptoms.

Dave Ings

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Good thought. But those "instances" will all have their own sessions. 1Password doesn't care about where you're using it, only that it needs to try to reconcile changes being made in multiple places at once. They all need to go back to the server, and then propagate to all of the apps/browsers where you're using it. It is more problematic on Windows since there just aren't reliable notifiers there (and of course a lot of 3rd party software that interferes with connections), but it's something we're actively striving to compensate for on that platform. No matter what, you'll always have a smoother experience by not actively using it in multiple places at once. But we'll keep working to avoid issues where we can too. :)

This discussion has been closed.