1Password continues to ask me to authorize Safari 12.01 every time I open it.

Sugeet
Sugeet
Community Member

Ever since I upgraded to the "new" Safari, 1 password asks for authorization EVERY time. I enter the code and it says the extension is ready - which is was and is. This is annoying to say the least, but I don't see how to get it to stop. Using 6.8.9 - HELP!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password continues to ask me to authorize Safari 12.01 every time I open it. It's most annoying.

Comments

• kevinmpowell
    kevinmpowell
    Community Member

I'm having a similar issue, except I don't see the authorization screen. When I launch Safari an agilebits.com URL attempts to load and then redirects me to 1password.com. EVERY time I launch Safari. It's like 1password has hijacked my homescreen.

I took a screenshot to see the URL that appears before the redirect. It's https://agilebits.com/browsers/auth.html.

Of note, this only happens on this user account on my laptop. On the other user account on the same machine I got the 6 number authorization prompt and everything is working normally.

• kevinmpowell
    kevinmpowell
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

When I type the keyboard shortcut to fill a login cmd + \ The menu bar 1password Mini pops open, but nothing auto fills.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
    Extension Version: 4.7.3
    OS Version: 10.13.6

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the browser extension and restarted my machine multiple times.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Sugeet - I'm sorry for the trouble. When you say "the new Safari," do you mean 12.0, when you upgraded to macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”)? Or do you mean the 12.0.1 update specifically?

1Password 6 has a limited lifespan projected in Safari, due to changes made by Apple. Version 6.x of 1Password for Mac uses our 4.7.3.90 extension (which is the .safariextz - style extension we've all been used to for years), but in Safari 12, Apple formally deprecated these, in favor of the newer Safari App Extension format. We use the new extension format beginning with version 7.2. For now, Safari 12 will accept the older-style extension, but only if installed directly from the Safari Extensions Gallery. And we don't know for how much longer that will be the case. Apple have already said they plan to sunset the Safari Extensions Gallery, and once that happens (probably around the end of the year, but no later than whenever they release the next version of macOS), there will be no way to use the older-style extensions required by 1Password 6 for Mac, in Safari 12. At that point your options will be:

1. Use a different browser (both Chrome and Firefox continue to use the older 4.7.3.90 extension used by 1Password 6 for Mac)
    2. Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac and install 7.2 or later, which uses the new Safari App Extension.

For the present, I'd recommend uninstalling the 4.7.3.90 extension, restarting both Safari and 1Password 6 for Mac (Quit 1Password and the Mini fully by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and then re-launch Safari and use the above link to download/install a fresh copy of the 1Password extension from the Safari Extensions Gallery. Let me know if the problem continues after that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @kevinmpowell! I'm sorry for the trouble. To solve the problem in your first post, try opening a Private Browsing window (File > New Private Window or just ⇧⌘N) and authorizing 1Password.

Regarding the second issue you're having, does this happen on every Login item, or only certain logins?

• Sugeet
    Sugeet
    Community Member

It works now. Many thanks. Will 1Password tell me when I have to go to 7? Shou I do that now? What about doing it now? What’s the advantage of 7 for an individual user? And that’s how much?
    Appreciate your clear instructions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Sugeet - I don't know exactly how things will play out in the future because as of right now, we don't even have a roadmap for when Apple will be retiring the Safari Extensions Gallery. I'd recommend upgrading to 7 for multiple reasons, but probably chief among them is the fact that version 6 will no longer be receiving development attention. To be clear, 1Password 7 for Mac will require a new purchase, so you may need/want to hold off on it, but I wouldn't wait too long. You'll need either a new 1Password standalone license ($49.99 right now, but eventually rising to the retail price of $64.99), or a 1password.com membership - $2.99/mo if paid annually.

In terms of specific advantages of 1Password 7 for Mac, you can read about the new features and upgrades, and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

• Sugeet
    Sugeet
    Community Member

Just tried to post big thanks to you for your time and clarity- and had to create another password!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Sugeet - I'm sorry for the trouble -- is everything OK?

This discussion has been closed.