Primary Vault still in 1Pass4 folder

hideftv
hideftv
Community Member

Ever since moving from 1Password 4 to 5, 6, and now 7 my primary vault remains in Library/AppSupport/1Password4 folder. Occasionally I run into the "you have 2 versions of 1Pass running" when I've had to restart the Firefox extension --but not very often and not very recently. (I did check the Applications folder and there is only the newest 1Pass vers in there.) In that same AppSupport folder is a "1Password" folder that contains an older .agilekeychain file, folders with older dates and a Backup folder with a more recent date. Note that the 1Pass4 Backup folder has the most recent backup date as well as the newest .opvault.

What should I do with the "1Password" folder? The 1Pass4 folder? How do I move all that data to a new say something like a "1Pass7" folder ...or whatever the name should be?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: WLAN/Dropbox

Comments

• hideftv
    hideftv
    Community Member

So I just turned sync off/on and created a new folder. I assume everything that needs to be there will be there? I see the .opvault but no other folders like before.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hideftv - overall, you should leave items inside ~/Library/Application Support alone. The data there are the actual data used by various applications on your Mac - including 1Password - and removing or altering them (especially their names) can result in serious problems.

That said, the folder in that location called simply 1Password is for version 3 of 1Password for Mac -- it's quite old. Assuming you're no longer running a rogue copy of 1Password 3 for Mac that you need, this can be deleted -- though again, if you don't need to do so for reasons like being short on hard drive space, there's no compelling reason to delete it. It won't harm anything, doesn't interfere with current versions, etc.

In 1Password 7 for Mac, we've become for the first time a fully-sandboxed app, which means we no longer use ~/Library/Application Support as your data location. That folder still exists because you previously had version 4/5/6 data in it. But as of 1Password 7 for Mac, your data location will be at: ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password. Again, it's best not to mess with this unless you really need to and know what you're doing.

How are you syncing your data? If you intend to use Dropbox, then your sync keychain (OPVault) will be located in your Dropbox folder, not any of the above locations. Turning Sync off/on should create the OPVault keychain in ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ -- is that where you've located it? It should be. If it is, just make sure that you also switch any other devices on which you're using 1Password over to the same sync keychain as well. Just toggle sync off, wait a second or two, then turn it back on and use the new OPVault keychain. That should take care of it! :)

• hideftv
    hideftv
    Community Member

I sync my primary vault locally and use WLAN for my devices. My secondary/third vaults are in Dropbox. I just prefer my main vault with all my vital stuff on my local system and not in the cloud...call me “old and stuck in my ways”. 1Password 7 may be fully sandboxed but upon launching the folder sync location was as it was while I was using 1Pass6 which happened to be named as it was in Application Support. After creating the new “1Pass7” folder for syncing, the only item inside is the .opvault. Everything appears to be working fine. I checked in the Backups tab and there was a new backup with the current date/time. When I clicked Find Backup and it took me to my new folder, nothing was there, I just figured it was a hidden item. So far everything is as it should be including 1Pass Mini, the Firefox extension, and Dropbox & WLAN syncing.

If there is something I should do to set it up “the way it should be done”, I am willing to do so.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hideftv - I'm not entirely sure I'm understanding you regarding folder sync. Did you have other desktop computers syncing to that folder? Or was it just this one Mac? If the latter, then it was unnecessary to even have this, since you were using WLAN to sync your vault to your mobile devices, and Dropbox for your secondary vaults. So (assuming I'm understanding you properly; correct me if the above is wrong) no, you shouldn't need to do anything else.

• hideftv
    hideftv
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

@Lars Yes I only sync my primary vault on 1 Mac to multiple devices via WLAN. My only real concern was that the folder in App Support has been since 1Pass4. I hadn’t changed anything in all that time. I only wanted a new folder for local sync instead of the old folder from way back. Once I turned off local sync and restarted “sync to folder” I was able to create a new folder that I called 1Pass7. I believe we are all on the same page that I needn’t be concerned further as my primary is syncing fine as my other vaults are on Dropbox.

I’m sorry if I confused you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hideftv - no worries! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding and giving you incorrect instructions/advice.

To be clear, you don't need to do folder sync at all, if you have only the one Mac on which you use 1Password. You're already using WLAN sync to keep your mobile devices in sync, and Folder Sync would only be needed if you had other desktop computers (Mac or PC) you wanted to use 1Password on. But your one lone Mac doesn't need to sync with itself, if you take my meaning. 1Password already makes daily backups of your data, so you don't need a sync keychain in a folder to have a backup. You CAN do this...but with your setup, there's no need.

• hideftv
    hideftv
    Community Member

Oh I see! I think that the "folder sync" function has just always been on since 1Pass3, like it was needed way back then possibly.

So the primary vault for 1Pass7 is now located is a sandboxed location and my folder sync version of the .opvault is redundant? Turning off folder sync as you suggest won't have any ill effects down the line?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hideftv - you are correct. Way back in the 1Password 3 for Mac days, we did not use an internal SQLite database for 1Password, the sync keychain (Agile Keychain) WAS the vault. In that scenario, you had to "sync" to it (so to speak) because it wasn't really sync, it was working directly on that file. But since 1Password 4 for Mac, we've had an internal SQLite database that we can rely on, so sync keychains are only necessary if you're actually syncing - keeping the same file in sync between two or more desktop devices. Which you're not.

You can turn off Folder Sync, and be 100% OK. :)

• hideftv
    hideftv
    Community Member

👏👏🙂🙂

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.