2FA authentication prompts frequently displayed when using iOS 12 auto fill

Options
alexyang
alexyang
Community Member

Hi, recently I noticed an issue with 1Password iOS.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Sign in to 1password and make sure 2FA is enabled.
  2. Close the app and wait for 1 hour.
  3. Open any website in Safari and tried to sign in using iOS 12 auto fill feature, instead of using the share menu extension.

Expected behaviour:
The password is correctly filled.

Actual behaviour:
The password is correctly filled, but there is a notification to enter the 2FA token from 1password app. Ignore the prompt does not have any impact. Next time it will still show when filling password.

I have attached the screenshot below

Comments

• alexyang
    alexyang
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve tried to disable and re-enable the password auto fill in iOS, and enable to show 1password login screen every time when filling. These do not solve the issue.

In functionality perspective, there is no issue. But it is a bit annoyed to see the prompt each time when I use password auto fill.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @alexyang

If instead of ignoring the notification you tap on it and enter the current TOTP code for your 1Password account from your authenticator app what happens?

Ben

• alexyang
    alexyang
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben, the problem is when I tap the notification, it goes into the 1Password app, but does not show anything to let me enter the TOTP. I can access vaults with no issue. So it seems to me this notification is redundant, where I don't really need to input TOTP code.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @alexyang. Well, I certainly agree something is wrong, but there are two possibilities:

1. The notification is being displayed in error
    2. The 1Password.com service really does need your TOTP code in order to continue syncing to your iOS device, and the notification is working properly, but the UI is not showing the prompt for the code as it should

I don't think it is safe to assume for former is what is happening. I'd like to investigate further. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/98984
    • Your forum username: alexyang

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• alexyang
    alexyang
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben , email sent. Support ID is #CEQ-84863-522

• alexyang
    alexyang
    Community Member
    Options

I just managed to reproduce the exact issue before sending out the report. So the last session in the logs will contain the reproduced issue.

• alexyang
    alexyang
    Community Member
    Options

This issue does not happen if I fill in the password using the 1password safari share menu extension, or if i just open the app from the home screen. And I also have no issue syncing any items from 1password.com.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @alexyang. I'll take a look at get back with you via email shortly.

Ben

ref: CEQ-84863-522

• oliverscgn
    oliverscgn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Guys, is there a fix for that available? I have exactly the same problem. Thank you.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2018
    Options

@oliverscgn

If this is indeed th same issue:

1. Make sure you have a device that is not impacted by this issue handy to generate a TOTP code for your account from.
    2. Sign in to the https://my.1password.com/profile website
    3. Under Authorized Devices find the device that you're having this trouble with
      and select the gear icon to the right of it
    4. Select require Authentication Code -- That will force the 1Password for iOS app to request the MFA code in the main app.
    5. Once you've input the requested code in 1Password then Password AutoFill should be able to pick that up and shouldn't prompt you any further.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.