How to get 1Password7 to work with Opera browser

Finally just gone through the ridiculously painful experience of upgrading from 1Password v4 to 1Password v7 and the Opera extension just seems to look for 1Password v4 links. How can I get my 1Password extension back in the Opera browser so that I can save logins etc??

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @zigojacko: Have you uninstalled 1Password 4 yet? 1Password 4 and 1Password 7 both use the same extension. 1Password 7 is designed to steal it fairly aggressively, but I've run into cases where 1Password 4 will win out all the same. If you still have 1Password 4 installed, uninstall it and reboot so 1Password 7 can take over. If you uninstalled already, I'd still recommend a reboot as a first step. :+1:

• zigojacko
    zigojacko
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply @bundtkate

Yes, uninstalling 1Password 4 was the first thing I did. I've even tried uninstalling 1Password 7 and reinstalling. It makes no difference. And the machine has been rebooted numerous times since too.

• zigojacko
    zigojacko
    Community Member

@brenty I just installed the Chrome extension 1 Password X in Opera and it seems to work... What is this one compared to the other one I was instructed to install?

• @zigojacko: 1Password X doesn't communicate with the desktop app. Instead, it works all on its own in your browser and connects directly to your 1Password account to save and fill data for you. It's a bit of a different experience, especially coming from 1Password 4, but I rather like it all the same. You can learn more about 1Password X here:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

If you're happy with 1Password X, then I'd stick with it, but if you do decide you prefer the standard extension, let me know. I'm happy to keep poking away at it. 👍

• zigojacko
    zigojacko
    Community Member

Okay thanks for clarification @bundtkate

So are you saying that if I save an item in the 1Password X extension, it will not exist in the desktop application nor indeed be available in my account on any other devices? If so, no, this wouldn't do, I need to access my saved credentials on quite a few devices and locations.

• @zigojacko

No, sorry for any confusion. What Kate is talking about is the fact that the traditional browser extensions work something like this:

Extension > main application (1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows) > sync service

with 1Password X there is no "main application" involved. Instead the model looks like this:

Extension > sync service

1Password X communicates directly with 1Password.com, eliminating the need to have 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows installed. You can of course still install and use those as part of your account if you wish. 1Password.com is the only supported sync service for 1Password X, whereas the traditional extensions can utilize our sync options for standalone vaults such as Dropbox and iCloud via the main application. Any data you save into it will become a part of your 1Password.com account and thus be available on any 1Password instances you are signed into that account with.

Is that more clear? Please let us know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.