How to upgrade to OPVault

Options
fredbram1
fredbram1
Community Member

Recently on my iMac I have been receiving the following message when opening the 1Password extension in Chrome. "1Password 7 can't sync with Agile Keychain files" "This vault is in Agile Keychain format and needs to be upgraded to OPVault format before it can be used to sync in 1Password 7". I can then manually find my logins, but it clearly isn't working correctly. I am on the version 7.1.2. It is unclear to me from the indtructions I have found what I need to do?

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:how to upgrade to opvault format

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fredbram1 - as of version 7.1.2, you can no longer sync via the now-ten year old Agile Keychain format. If you've got all your data safely in 1Password 7 for Mac, then all you really need to do is turn OFF syncing on your Mac, wait a second or two, then turn it back ON, and allow 1Password 7 for Mac to write out a new OPVault keychain. You'll also need to make sure to point any other devices at the new keychain as well, if you have other computers or mobile devices that have been syncing to the older Agile Keychain. Hope this helps! :)

• fredbram1
    fredbram1
    Community Member
    Options

So, I haven't dealt with this for quite a while. I am not sure how I am currently syncing, therefore I'm not sure which method to choose when I turn sync back on. I think I'd like to use iCloud, but when I go to sync by iCloud, it says that I haven't synced by iCloud since 2011, and I don't want to merge that ancient data into my current data.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fredbram1 - no worries. Click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data. That will remove whatever ancient data was in there, and the next time you turn on iCloud syncing, you'll write a new file.

• fredbram1
    fredbram1
    Community Member
    Options

I reset iCloud data and starting syncing and it immediately says failed to modify some records. What next?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fredbram1 - Hmmm...I've seen this once or twice before, so let me take a wild shot in the dark, here: did you perhaps modify/change the icon of your main ("Primary") vault?

• fredbram1
    fredbram1
    Community Member
    Options

I have been away for a week. I am quite frustrated. 1Password seems to be working and syncing fine on my iMac now (no idea what changed), but it only works the same on one of my other Apple devices. My iPhone has the nice multi colored all vaults icon in the top lefthand corner and it has a sync option below, and seems to be syncing fine. Not so for either of our iPads or my wife's iPhone. I thought maybe I needed to add the account, but that did not help with wife's iPhone. I get very tired of posting a reply here, then waiting 24 hours for a response, then posting another reply and waiting 24 hours for a response. I would love to have a give and take with an expert, like a phone conversation or a chat. I am not a twitter user. What option do you have for a long time paying customer?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fredbram1 - I'm sorry for the continued difficulty. We don't offer telephone or "live chat" support for 1Password, but I'd be happy to continue helping you right here, if that works for you. We always try to reply as quickly as we can, and we usually are a lot better than 24 hours, once a conversation's been engaged (as opposed to waiting for the first reply), but times can vary depending upon when in the day you reply (we do sleep and eat and have time off occasionally ;) ) and how many other people are similarly waiting.

I'm glad your one Mac appears to be syncing now, but if other devices aren't, we may want to take a closer look at what each of them is doing. I'd also strongly recommend a 1password.com membership if you a) have multiple family members who are using or want to use 1Password and b) are having difficulties keeping your various devices' data synced using our advanced sync methods (iCloud, Dropbox). 1password accounts are synced via the 1Password.com servers; there's no messing about with setting up, maintaining and (potentially) troubleshooting complex 3rd party sync setups/APIs. You just sign into your 1password.com account on every device and your data is there, (nearly) instantaneously.

What you'll want to do is look in 1Password's Preferences > Sync (for Macs) and Settings > Sync (for iOS devices), to see what method of sync each vault on each device is using. Also look in the 1password.com accounts section to see whether you might have inadvertently already created one of these. Let me know what you discover.

• fredbram1
    fredbram1
    Community Member
    Options

I have an account. As I mentioned in my previous post, there is no sync under settings on 3 of our devices. iPads and iPhone.

• Ben
    Options

@fredbram1

It sounds like there is a disconnect. Having an account and using iCloud to sync 1Password data are mutually exclusive. You can't do both, generally. If you're signed into a 1Password account there intentionally will not be any sync settings and you cannot sync with data in iCloud.

Here is what I'd like for you to do:

1. On each device create a Secure Note item and title it a reference to that device (e.x. "Fred's iPhone")
    2. Sign in to your 1Password account at https://my.1password.com/
    3. Check which of the Secure Notes you created in step 1 appear there

The devices where you created Secure Notes that do not appear on the 1Password.com website are not configured properly. They are either not signed into your account, and/or they are still configured to sync with iCloud instead of your account. Once we have an idea of which devices are configured properly and which are not we can formulate a game plan for getting them all on the same page.

Ben

• fredbram1
    fredbram1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for paying attention Ben. Mary's iPhone and my iPad are configured correctly. Mary's iPad thinks that I am not signed in properly, and although I can access it, it says that the account it is connected to has a different first 8 digits of secret account key than ours. Don't know what is going on there. The Secure Notes created on our iMac and my iPhone did not appear on the 1Password website.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fredbram1 - to get a better idea of what exactly is on each device, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#EIS-46834-622]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @fredbram1 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: EIS-46834-622

• fredbram1
    fredbram1
    Community Member
    Options

All 5 diagnostics have been sent.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fredbram1 - thanks! Let's keep the conversation going via email to avoid discussing details of your personal 1Password setup here in this public forum. One of us will be with you shortly.

This discussion has been closed.