To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

If my device and wallet are stolen while traveling, how do I access my account with no special key?

Options
dmoffat322
dmoffat322
Community Member

I have created a master password that I can remember and is strong. But the secret key is impossible to remember. So do I put a hard copy in my shoe when I travel?

1Password Version: Latest version
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:If my device and wallet is stolen while traveling, how do I access my account with special key?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

That would be one possible solution, yes, and probably not the worst one. :)

Ben

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

How about storing it an encrypted disk image in iCloud/Docs?

I can remember my iCloud login info and have 2FA, so if stuck without phone or wallet I could get the secret key by logging into iCloud.com on any computer, and then 1Password.com

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2018
    Options

@mikebore

That probably would not work for the situation the OP outlined. OP mentioned losing access to their devices. If they don't have any of their devices they wouldn't be able to obtain their 2FA code for their Apple ID.

As with any emergency plan it is a good idea to test if the plan would actually work if needed. I don't believe this one would.

Ben

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Good point! How about in an encrypted disk image or zip file in Dropbox or OneDrive, (without two factor)

• @mikebore, something like that could indeed work if you remembered all the necessary passwords - i.e. to get into Dropbox and to decrypt the disk image. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.