Will Updating 1Password Ever Be Possible Wthout Manually Quitting

pappjo
pappjo
Community Member

Just wondering if it will always be necessary to manually completely quit 1Password for Mac App Store updates to be applied. Usually I only know there’s an available update when I see the on screen message that the update could not be done until 1Password is not running. Not a big deal but it would be nice if all this could just happen automatically.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pappjo - I'm sorry for the trouble, but...hrm. This should've been addressed already in either 7.2.1 or 7.2.2 (can't really remember which, at this point). And if you've been keeping up to date with new versions, that problem should have been behind you now. The only other possibility is that now, since the 1Password extension for Safari is the newer style Safari App Extension (SAE), it's no longer a separate download but actually part of the 1Password app itself. And that means, if you go to update 1Password and you still have Safari open, it may have difficulties. Do you happen to recall whether you did?

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

I don't remember what the circumstances were but I do remember having to completely quit 1Password. I used the menu bar icon to launch the mini application and then the gear icon to get to the completely quit option before the update would install. Both the Safari extension and 1Password are version 7.2.2.

Also to clarify should I still have the Safari extension and icon in the Safari tool bar as well as the menu bar icon for the mini app?

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

Also to understand all updates are still being applied through the Mac App Store mechanism? I’ll have to see what occurs with your next release and I’ll make certain to have Safari closed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pappjo - if you have the Mac App Store version, then yes, all updates are handled that way. If you have our version, then you'd be checking for updates in the traditional way, either automatically or manually via 1Password > Check for updates. But in both cases, make sure Safari is closed as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.