To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What membership do I need?

Options
jmwardrop
jmwardrop
Community Member

I am a single user who has been successfully using 1password for a long time. I wish to have version 7 synced on my Mac (currently version 6.8.9) which is the one I use the most but also on my iPad pro and Android phone. Up until now I have been able to do this with a single membership. I am unclear what subscriptions I would need to achieve sync my passwords across the three devices on 1password 7. My fear is that I would have to take out multiple subscriptions making the whole thing unviable cost wise. I would appreciate advice on what subscription(s) I need to take out in order to have 1password 7 synced across all three devices

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmwardrop: Thanks for getting in touch! In fact, for the vast majority of people, only a single 1Password membership is needed, as opposed to paying for more than one. And, in your case, since it sounds like you don't need to use 1Password in a family or team setting, an individual membership sounds like it would be a perfect fit:

https://1password.com/sign-up/

It's probably a good place to start no matter what though, since it's easy to upgrade to 1Password Families or 1Password Teams from there if you find that you want to share with your loved ones, or maybe want to be able to invite someone as a guest to be able to share a vault sensitive information securely -- like with an accountant.

Generally you'd only need more than one membership if you were using 1Password both within your family and within your company, to keep em separated. But even most people who do that aren't paying for both: the company usually pays for the work account -- and with 1Password Business, each person invited to the company plan also gets their own separate 1Password Families membership for no additional charge...so some people end up not having to pay for either.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jmwardrop
    jmwardrop
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your help. Very much appreciated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

• Pachinto17
    Pachinto17
    Community Member
    Options

Hello there,

First, I would like to say that I had to browse +/- 8 tabs before getting a better idea of what's going on with 1P now. Supper happy customer using the standalone app, sad/surprised to see that you also moved to the trend of subscriptions to get new people on board: really sad because I gave gift cards to husband and friend to purchase the today nonexistent app. In other words, if I want them to enjoy the features of 1P, I am forced to move to a subscription. Yes, this part is clearly just a rant of an unhappy customer.

Now, here is the question: let's say I decide to move to subscription and later on I decide to stop. I've heard you "freeze" accounts. I want to know if I can go back to use my old, fully functional and awesome v.7 without any problem if I decide not to keep the subscription.
    Part B of the question, in order to be safe, can I open a new account, transfer my vault there and keep my app fully functional. I don't want to move forward and stay trapped by the subscription and unable to use my app. Thanks in advance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Pachinto17: I don't really understand the "gift cards" comment since we've only ever had those for 1Password.com memberships, but I am sorry for the confusion there. I get where you're coming from, and certainly I respect that you may prefer to purchase separate licenses and deal with sync configuration yourself, but that's just not the best experience for most people. Believe me, we heard from them for over a decade when that was the only option: "Why do I have to buy more than one thing? Why does it have to be this complicated?" No more. So I hope you're not pushing friends and family into those complexities if they'd be happier not dealing with them. We still offer licenses for those who want them though. But at the end of the day, while you and I may be perfectly comfortable navigating all of that, we're not most people. So we're focusing on doing what we can to make 1Password easier for people to use, where there were greater technical -- and, frankly, financial -- hurdles for people in the past. Food for thought.

Regarding "frozen" accounts, that just means that if you don't have an active subscription, the data is just read only, so you can still get it out if you decide that it isn't what you prefer. At that point, you can either go back to using local vaults with an existing license you have, purchase a license for the current version, or use something else entirely. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Pachinto17
    Pachinto17
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi Brenty,

Thanks for answering. I understand and value the power of sync information across devices, bust as you mentioned, every customer is different. My husband and friend needs a single access point (one smartphone where they can store their passwords) and no more. It's their preference. I gave them two Google Play gift cards for them to purchase their license (not membership). You mentioned they existed, can you provide the link or the keyword to look at it in the Google Play Store? Thanks a lot!

• Ben
    Options

@Pachinto17

Indeed; many folks are going mobile-only now, and that's fine. But how/where will they be backing their data up? What will they do in the event their mobile device is lost/stolen/damaged? With a standalone installation of 1Password (no membership) we do not store the customer's encrypted 1Password data. By default it is only on their device. If for whatever reason they are unable to access that device that could be catastrophic. Something to think about.

1Password for Android can be found in the Google Play Store, here:

1Password - Password Manager and Secure Wallet - Apps on Google Play

There's no way to create a new standalone vault from 1Password 7 for Android. However, if they have an existing vault, they can certainly sync it to Android. In a standalone environment 1Password for Android is perhaps best thought of as a companion app to 1Password for Windows or 1Password for Mac. With a membership it can be their only 1Password installation.

Ben

• Pachinto17
    Pachinto17
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your answer!

Thank you,

Patricia

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)