How to export data in 1Password format?

LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Families

I am currently using 1Password Families, 1Password X on Chrome OS, and 1Password Android on my phone. My wife uses 1Password on a Mac and iPhone. I want to export all my 1Password data in both my Personal and Shared vaults in 1Password format (1pif).

I don't see how this is possible from either 1Password X in Chrome or from my 1Password.com page. How can I export my data in 1Password format?

1Password Version: 1Password X v1.13
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Chrome OS
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @LarryMcJ

Unfortunately at the moment neither 1Password X or the 1Password web interface support exporting. What you could do, even as a temporary measure, is set up a user account for yourself on your wife's Mac (instructions), sign in to your 1Password account in 1Password for Mac, and do the export there.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. I had actually thought about doing that after I'd already posted the question...I guess it's my only option. Do you know if enough people have asked for this to make it someday happen in 1Password X or the web account? I love my Pixelbook...but miss the export feature I had with my old Mac. Thanks, again.

• @LarryMcJ

It is something that has been discussed, and is something I think we'd like to tackle if time allows. If you've been using 1PIF I'm sure you're already aware, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that 1PIFs are unencrypted and so extreme caution with them is warranted.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

It is something that has been discussed, and is something I think we'd like to tackle if time allows.

The GDPR “Data Portability” right might even force you to do this...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

This morning I started thinking about, and looked into the details of, writing a converter that uses op, to export the data and create 1PIF. It's easy enough to do, and I'm still thinking about it. I have no idea how much use this would get.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

MrC, as much as I'd like to see something like this, the reality is it probably wouldn't get a lot of use....yet. But as Chromebooks gain even more traction, that could easily change. When I dumped a lifetime of Apple stuff to move to a Pixelbook and Pixel phone, I thought I was pretty much a lone voice in the wilderness, but I've since learned there are a lot of folks simplifying their digital lives by doing the same thing. I think Apple's blatant disregard for the iMac has pushed many of us out of their space.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

There are certainly some decent Chromebooks out there (and Windows and Linux PCs), but my Mac is still what I most enjoy using. :)

Anyway, I'm not sure that running the CLI app is feasible on Chrome OS. And securely storing the export would be a concern regardless of the method used. Hopefully we'll be able to offer more export options in the future though -- like through the web app, since that is accessible on nearly any device.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

I understand the security concerns, but then again, isn't any .1pif unsecure regardless of the OS?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Some have disk encryption and some don't, so it can make a difference with regard to the security of data storage.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

👍

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm betting you were aware of that, but we do want to make sure we offer appropriate warnings about exporting data to plaintext, for anyone who might be reading. Cheers! :) :+1:

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Understand. The search function makes the forum a great source of information...if you could just get everyone to use it 😉

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'd say the same about Google, and it's still much better than the forum search, though it is certainly useful. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.