Master Password Out of Sync on Multiple Devices

Options

I just installed 1Password on a new laptop. My desktop and other laptops, along with Android and iOS devices allow me to set a "local" master password to open 1Password. Then, have the shared 1Password.com account within that. Unfortunately, Windows app version 7.2.581 doesn't allow an option to change the Master Password. Instead it uses the Master Password for the cloud account. The other computers have been updated and will not allow me to change the Master Password either. This causes the new laptop to be out of sync from the previous setup devices. I also cannot change the previous setup devices to match the 1Password cloud master password.

Can I install a version of the Windows app that allows me to set the master password? Then update to the latest version of the Windows app?

Thanks,

Matt Parker

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 OS Build 17134.441
Sync Type: 1password cloud

Comments

• @parkerm77: 1Password 6 and 7 for Windows both ultimately forced the use of your account Master Password. Reason being that when we allowed local password changes, folks would think it changed their account password and subsequently forget it and get locked out. What's worse, they'd not discover this until they needed to invite someone to their account or update billing making it that much less likely they'd ever recall the old one. With standalone vaults back in 1Password 7, we do have some work to do on Master Password changes in 1Password 7, but I can't promise that will bring back the idea of a "local" Master Password nor is there a way to set one until then. If you're open to using your account's Master Password across all devices, that's something we can get done now. If you want to do that, let me know if you have any standalone vaults (looking for a vault named "Primary" is the best way to check for these) in any of your apps, and I can help you get them on board with the account Master Password as well. :+1:

• parkerm77
    parkerm77
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. That makes sense. I can could see people getting confused by local vs cloud master passwords. It's disappointing it changed, but understandable when you provide the context.

The current issue for me is I need to change the two Windows versions of 1password that are using the old local master password to use of the cloud master password.

I've tried uninstall and reinstall. That didn't work.

Thanks for your help in getting this resolved.

Thanks,

Matt

• It's no trouble at all, @parkerm77, and thanks for your understanding. It does stink when we make a decision to protect more casual 1Password customers at the expense of our power users, but it is necessary at time and I always appreciate it when y'all get it even if you may not be stoked about it. Assuming you have no vaults listed under On this PC (press Ctrl + D to show your vault list to check), you can get these PCs using your account Master Password by resetting them and signing in to your account again:

https://support.1password.com/starting-over/?windows

If you do have vaults under On this PC and you need the data in those vaults, you can either move those items to your account or add the vaults again via File > Open Vault on this PC, once you've reset and signed in to your account. And, of course, if you have questions along the way, I'm happy to help. :chuffed:

• parkerm77
    parkerm77
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. I'll give it a try. I have no local vaults, it's all in the cloud. I do understand changes sometimes need to be made, even though change is sometimes difficult to embrace. :)

• No worries, @parkerm77, I absolutely understand. Heck, each of us has a change we had a tough time embracing too, but if we made everything perfect for everyone, we'd have nothing to work towards, right? :wink: Hopefully you don't find this one too jarring, and of course, I'm here to help if you need it. :chuffed:

• sinclac57
    sinclac57
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

That just helped me get it working on my PC Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad you found this discussion helpful! And we're here if you ever need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.