Migration went haywire

Options
MarkieD
MarkieD
Community Member

Seems like it should be an easy thing to transition from standalone app using Dropbox to the 1password.com site. It has been anything but. My original standalone app was showing 450 total items and 351 logins. I used my iPhone to migrate for fear of losing data on my MBPro. My 1Password.com account now shows only 248 total items and 248 logins. Clearly, this was not a successful migration.

Points of frustration:
-tried to exit 1Password on my MBPro. The app would not allow me to close the app, forcing me to sign in to the .com site. When I tried to shut down my MBPro, I got a window that said "Shutdown interrupted by 1Password" Ugghh I hate it when apps take control of my computer like that. Why didn't I sign in? Because the site showed it didn't have all my data, not migrated successfully.

-in the tutorial videos it shows a window in the app that asks if you want to move your saved items. I never saw such a window.

So, what I tried to do is create a new vault and see if I could move my Dropbox data into that. Another dead end.

I've used 1Password for many years and this is migration is unnecessarily clunky. Not a smooth transition, in fact no transition at all!

Can anyone shed some light on where to go from here?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

MacBook Pro OS X 10.13.6
iPhone 6s
iPad Pro 12.1

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @MarkieD! I'm sorry for the trouble you had -- you're correct, it should be a relatively simple procedure to go from a standalone setup to 1password.com.

Can anyone shed some light on where to go from here?

Sure! Do you have 1Password 6 for Mac on your MacBook Pro, or 1Password 7 for Mac? Do you still have a complete copy of your 1Password data in your older, standalone, Primary vault there? If so, this should be relatively simple. Let me know. :)

• MarkieD
    MarkieD
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Lars, thank you for responding. Yes, I still have 1Password 6 for Mac on my MBPro. And I do still have all my data when I open 1Password 6, thankfully. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that is all there! What do you suggest I do now?

• tmq
    tmq
    Community Member
    Options

I am also facing the same issue, trying to migrate DB data to the online vault (which I suppose is not the same as iCloud sync?). In any case, I have an online vault and a Dropbox vault and would like to migrate the DB data to the online vault. All I have found is this forum post (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/88460/importing-opvault-into-1password-account) where it is suggested to "copy it manually like you did before".

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MarkieD - thanks for the clarification. Because this is going to involve some discussion of your specific 1Password setup, I'd like to continue the conversation via email, if that's all right with you. I've sent a quick email to the address you used to register for this forum. If you don't receive it, please check your Spam or Bulk email folder, as sometimes overzealous spam filters can mark unsolicited email from us as junk.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tmq - I'm sorry for the trouble! No, a 1password.com account is very different from iCloud. With a 1password.com membership, your data is stored on and synced via the 1password.com servers themselves. If you've already signed up for a 1password.com membership, the easiest way to do it is to add your account to the 1Password app on your Mac, and then move your items over into your account's vault(s). Hope that helps! :)

• tmq
    tmq
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

Yes, I assumed that they were different, but it's unclear, since you're probably using CloudKit on the 1password.com backend?

But the main issue is that the DB vault and 1password.com vaults contain many of the same entries, so that dragging and dropping as per the link creates hundreds of duplicates. How might I avoid this?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tmq

I assumed that they were different, but it's unclear, since you're probably using CloudKit on the 1password.com backend?

It's not a bad assumption, but nope: 1password.com is a custom-built solution that we developed on our own. Not to say we didn't rely on some existing dependencies, etc...but CloudKit isn't one of them. We use AWS as our actual host, and the 1password.com server is a mix of...well, a bunch of things, all of which we combined or wrote ourselves, to allow what we do here to be so much more advanced than what's possible with 3rd party sync APIs...even Apple's. :)

If your 1password.com vault already contains many or all of the same items, that'll be because you already migrated using the in-app upgrade process. If that was a while ago, and if you did NOT remove your older, standalone Primary vault immediately afterwards, then what you'll probably want to do is select your Primary vault and click the sort order to show by Date Modified. Catch any items that have been added or modified since the time the data was initially migrated to your 1password.com vault, and manually move only those items over, or even copy/change the items in the 1password.com vault, if they're already there. Then, when you're certain you have a complete and up-to-date copy of your data in your 1password.com account's vault, you can remove the now-redundant Primary vault by clicking Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1password.com accounts."

• MarkieD
    MarkieD
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Lars, I sent you an email.

Mark

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MarkieD - yep, replied. :)

• tmq