Safari Ext not working

miltonBA
miltonBA
Community Member

Purchased a new iMac and did an migration from time machine seem to install 1Password ok but being asked to Add Safari Ext when trying to log into site, I contacted support and all they did was send a email with lots of links and pushing me to upgrade to Ver7. I'm using 6.88 I don't what to get version 7 because I have payed for a licence for 6.88 a couple of years ago.
Thanks for your help
Colin

1Password Versionc6.8.8
1Password Extension Version Don't think I have one
Operating System Version 10.14.2
Sync Type iCloud

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi @miltonBA

The issue here is that the old 1Password extension doesn't really work with Safari anymore or, at the very least, won't work for much longer.

With the release of Safari 12, Apple formally deprecated the traditional browser extensions in favour of the newer App Extensions. 1Password has an App Extension but it was built for 1Password 7. You can still grab the old extension from the Safari Extension Gallery but I can't recommend that as a long term solution as Apple will be retiring that pretty soon too and there is no real telling how long the old extension will continue to work at all.

• miltonBA
    miltonBA
    Community Member

Thanks Cory
    Are you saying the license I purchased will be invalid soon

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@miltonBA

No, your license does not expire. You can continue to use 1Password 6 if you wish, but it won't work with Safari for much longer due to Apple switching to App Extensions. It will still work with other browsers though.

However, I cannot recommend that you remain on 1Password 6 in the long term. 1Password 6 has been retired and development on it has ended. As 1Password is security software, it is prudent to remain on the most up to date version you can as that is the version with the most current security updates and fixes.

• miltonBA
    miltonBA
    Community Member

Thanks Cory
    So if download the latest version of 1Password will have have to purchase it.
    Cheers
    Colin

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Yes @miltonBA, 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade for license holders. But if you contact support via email, they may be able to work something out for you.

This discussion has been closed.