To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Multiple vaults - local and sync

Options
thanirs
thanirs
Community Member

Hello! I am considering 1Password family membership. Sorry if this has been answered. I did a quick search prior to posting and couldn't find a match.

My understanding is that I can can create multiple vaults. Can I create one vault that's only local (macOS for example) and another vault that's cloud synchronized using 1Password servers?

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @thanirs

That would be possible but not recommended. When you have any local ("standalone") vaults that modifies the way 1Password operates, specifically in terms of the Master Password. With a local vault enabled on a device 1Password unlocks using the Master Password of the "Primary" local vault. This can cause significant confusion when, for example, a customer changes their 1Password.com Master Password and that does not change the password that is used to unlock 1Password on devices that have a local vault.

If at all possible we'd recommend avoiding this configuration.

Ben

• thanirs
    thanirs
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, thank you so much for your response. I am confused and it looks like I don't quite understand Vault or maybe I didn't ask the question correctly. Here is an example of my use case:

I've read this in the mean time - https://support.1password.com/getting-started-mac. So let's take the 7 categories (7 Vaults) as shown in this guide. Does 1Password allow me to sync six of the vaults and not sync one of these vaults/categories (say Bank Accounts)? Or is it all or nothing? It sounds like it's all or nothing and this also means that a MP change on 1Password.com doesn't propagate to the macOS where these 7 Vaults are defined.

• Ben
    Options

Ah, those would be categories. Sync happens at the vault level, not the category level. It isn't possible to sync just a subset of categories. As you say, it is all or nothing.

If you are using 1Password.com exclusively (no standalone vaults) then a Master Password change would affect all devices.

Ben

• thanirs
    thanirs
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you again. So I was incorrectly using Vaults and Categories interchangeably. What threw me off was in the example shown in the guide I saw All Vaults and underneath it 7 Vaults - I understood that to read Vaults = Categories. Regardless, I now know that sync occurs at the Vault level. Good to know. So:

Can I create another Vault and not have it sync? Or this is a no-no when using 1Password.com? Which means this is only possible with a software license model?

And if I purchased a license, do I need to purchase the software on every type of device I use (say I have MacOS and iOS) or every device (say I have 2 Macs, 3 iPhones)?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thanirs - please see Ben's previous comments: this is not a recommended configuration. It's possible, but not recommended. If you use 1Password for Mac with only a 1password.com account, then everything is synced via the 1password.com servers, and you use the same Master Password everywhere. But creating a vault outside of your 1password.com account would make your 1Password for Mac setup essentially a standalone setup, with an account. That means the new, non-syncing vault you created ("Primary") would need its own Master Password, and that Master Password would be the one that opens 1Password for Mac. This could be the same one as the one you use for your 1password.com account...or it could be different. And if you do this on more than one Mac, then you might have two or three or even more Master Passwords. It's just generally not recommended unless you know what you're doing and can avoid the pitfalls of such a setup...such as inadvertently saving Login items into the Primary vault, then going to another device and wondering why that item isn't available there, etc.

• thanirs
    thanirs
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, thank you. Understood. OK..one last question about standalone version licensing. Say I have 3 platforms - macOS, iOS and Android and 6 devices.

Do I need to purchase a license per each type of device I use? i.e., 3 licenses in my example; one for MacOS, another for iOS and another for Android) or per device (6 licenses)?

Thanks again

• Ben
    Options

Licensing is per-platform rather than per-device. :+1:

Ben

• thanirs
    thanirs
    Community Member
    Options

You all rock! I am not even a customer and I am impressed by the turnaround time on your responses. Keep up the great work.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for saying so. :) Happy Holidays.

Ben

• cleonard007
    cleonard007
    Community Member
    Options

I understand about multiple vaults and I may have set this up incorrectly. On the 1password website, my vault is "Personal" but the vault I have synching on my icloud (which I want to be the only, singular vault i use, is "Primary". This thread explains why i can still open the 1password app on my new iPhone and "occasionally" in the past, because I didn't realize what the factor was that differentiated it. i think i merged them when i created the "account" with the blue flag but how do I combine them, make sure i have one, single vault on my macbook pro, iPhone and any another device so it is the same new master password i made and so i know all entries are synched across all devices and the main vault on my account, rather than have any local vaults?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cleonard007

the vault I have synching on my icloud (which I want to be the only, singular vault i use, is "Primary".

This is a local vault, synced manually by you, via iCloud. It is - and must be - separate from your 1password.com account. I'd strongly recommend you use the "Personal" vault of the 1password.com account you apparently created, rather than the Primary vault. You can move items from one vault into the other, and then, when you're certain you've got a complete and up-to-date copy of your data in Personal, you can remove the Primary vault by clicking Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." Hope that helps! :)

• cleonard007
    cleonard007
    Community Member
    Options

yes that helps - I wrote the wrong word on my post which may have confused the issue - I want to use the 1password Personal account and there then is no need for iCloud third-party synching - I will move any remaining items from that vault into the personal one and then delete the old primary vault that synch with iCloud - after playing with it and doing some reading I realized the nuances but your response confirms it with clarity so thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cleonard007 - excellent! That's exactly what I would do in your situation. Let us know if you need anything else, otherwise Happy New Year! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.