To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Different handling of previous purchases of iOS and MacOS?

Options
Tomovich
Tomovich
Community Member

Hello

In June 2012 I bought the app for OS X from the App Store, the iOS app I've bought in November 2013.

Today, I wanted to install the MacOS app again after a clean install of Mojave. I got the message to either buy a new license or to buy a membership. I have no problems with that.
On iOS I don't get the same question.

Am I correct that for the MacOS app I need to pay but that for the iOS app I can continue using my original purchase? If so, then I better buy a license instead of a membership. Or will this iOS policy change in the future too?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You should be able to download the older version of 1PW for the Mac from the App Store by going to the Purchases tab of your App Store account. That will work in the short term, but as the old version is no longer being developed, at some point you should move.

I am a touch surprised that you were given the option to buy a licence or a membership. I thought this option was only available if you downloaded 1PW7 direct from AgileBits, and that the App Store version only permitted a membership.

There are technical advantages in a membership, though these might not interest you. The financial situation is a touch unclear if you only have Mac and iOS, but I think membership may still be worthwhile. See https://support.1password.com/why-membership/ for more information.

• Tomovich
    Tomovich
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I did get the option to buy a license (it was visible), but when clicking it nothing happened. I read it here that it's possible with the version downloaded directly from here.

But is it correct that the iOS version will not "force" me to a new membership or license?

EDIT: Concerning the fact that I got the option to buy a license or membership from the App Store version. I installed 1Password from the App Store (I just saw the cloud which meant I had already bought it, didn't notice that it was the new version) and after setting up (iCloud sync) I saw that my logins were read only. When I clicked on the button I saw a link in the following screen that said "Need a license? We have those too.". Then there's a bubble mentioning that you need to download the version from the website.

• Ben
    Options

Correct: 1Password 7 for iOS is a free upgrade and to purchase a license for 1Password for Mac you'd need the download from our website (not the Mac App Store).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Tomovich
    Tomovich
    Community Member
    Options

This is bizarre, there are three replies but I can only see my original post...

• Tomovich
    Tomovich
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I found it, it's 1Blocker X that's blocking the comments...

Still my question about the iOS version. If you bought it in the past via the App Store, will it still be active or will you change it just like you changed to memberships for the desktop version?

Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

If you bought it in the past via the App Store, will it still be active

Yes.

or will you change it just like you changed to memberships for the desktop version?

Both desktop and mobile offer options to use 1Password either with a membership or standalone.

Ben

• Tomovich
    Tomovich
    Community Member
    Options

Ok thanks!
    Another question, I was making an account and then I had to fill out the payment details. Whats the importance of the country? If I fill out another one, what’s the effect?

• Ben
    Options

@Tomovich

Accounts are the subscription service we offer. It sounded like you wanted to use 1Password without an account? The country is used for billing purposes. If you put in the wrong one it is likely your credit card issuer will reject the charge and your account will be frozen.

Ben

• Tomovich
    Tomovich
    Community Member
    Options

Up until now I have used 1Password without a membership account. I bought a license via the iOS and Mac App Stores. Since the latest update i couldn’t add new logins in 1Password for Mac (I did a clean install so I downloaded unknowingly the latest version).

This morning I wanted to check out the membership options. I noticed there were three websites (.com, .ca and .eu). I made an account for each one of them to check out the price differences.

What I believe the difference is, is that the .com, .ca or .eu are also the currencies in which I must pay. The VAT is connected with the country of the credit card. So cannot be changed which would mean tax evasion I think...?_

• Tomovich
    Tomovich
    Community Member
    Options

And which version do I need to use if I have a membership account? The App Store version or the one downloaded from the website? Or are they the same?

• Ben
    Options

@Tomovich

The .com instance is billed in US dollars and is located in North Virginia, United States, .eu is billed in Euros and is located in Frankfurt, Germany, and .ca is billed in Canadian dollars and is located in Montreal, Canada. Regardless of which instance you're on you'd need to pay taxes appropriate to your location's laws. As you alluded attempting to avoid paying the proper tax is likely tax evasion and may be illegal. Most customers use 1Password.com, but if .ca or .eu would be more appropriate for you based on your location in the world you are certainly welcome to use whichever fits best.

If you have a membership you can use 1Password from either us directly or from the Mac App Store. The only real difference is how your updates are delivered (generally updates from us directly will be quicker, but some find the App Store more convenient). It comes down to a matter of preference. If using 1Password without a membership you'd need to download from us directly. The App Store version will not work without a membership.

Ben

• Tomovich
    Tomovich
    Community Member
    Options

Ok thanks for the replies!
    I have already subscribed for a membership.
    I just wanted to let you know that when I wanted to migrate my current vault to the membership one on my iPad, it got stuck. It lasted more than half an hour each time. I tried multiple times. The didn't respond anymore as well.
    I guess it's because of the folders I have. I logged out of the membership account, deleted everything of it, logged in again and skipped migration and copied them manually afterwards which gave no problems.

• @Tomovich glad to hear you were able to set set up with a membership successfully. Sorry about the trouble you experienced with the migrations.

This discussion has been closed.