Autofill username and password from browser addon or 1password mini

Some of my logon items are used across multiple websites and applications on my PC and I don't always have all the websites listed against the logon item in 1Password.

When filling these websites/applications I therefore have to search for the particular logon item I want to use on whichever website (1Password Browser Extension) or application (1Password mini), I then have the option to copy the username or password or have 1Password type it into whichever application/website. This works ok if i'm just filling a password but if I need to fill both the username and password then I'm forced to complete the search twice, the first time for the username, then manually tabbing to the password field before searching again and inserting the password.

Is it already possible or could I request a feature update to allow filling of both a username/password into a website (1Password Browser Extension) or application (1Password mini)

Additionally I usually find myself clicking or hitting enter on the correct logon item in the search results hoping this will fill into the window i've most recently had in focus however I find it closes my search results and either does nothing if there is no website listed under the logon item or opens up the website that is listed in my logon item and I have to perform the search again.

I also find that the website does not open in a new tab but rather opens within the tab i've most recently been using and usually want to keep open.

My default browser is chrome.

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.134]
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Autofill username and password from browser addon or 1password mini

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lmanning: Thanks for reaching out. 1Password works pretty much the way you want it to, but it sounds like you need to make some adjustments to how you have things setup first in order for it to work as designed. You can get a good overview of this here:

Using the 1Password desktop extension

Some of my logon items are used across multiple websites and applications on my PC and I don't always have all the websites listed against the logon item in 1Password.

We've intentionally made 1Password so that it will only fill login credentials on a webpage if its URL matches the URL saved in the Login item. This is an important defense against phishing scams. If you need to use a specific account on multiple websites, you can add multiple URLs to the Login item in 1Password.

When filling these websites/applications I therefore have to search for the particular logon item I want to use on whichever website (1Password Browser Extension) or application (1Password mini), I then have the option to copy the username or password or have 1Password type it into whichever application/website. This works ok if i'm just filling a password but if I need to fill both the username and password then I'm forced to complete the search twice, the first time for the username, then manually tabbing to the password field before searching again and inserting the password.

We do want to make it easier to not only find the information you need but keep in handy for a bit in future versions...but it does sound like in this case just having the Login item with the info needed to fill would help.

Is it already possible or could I request a feature update to allow filling of both a username/password into a website (1Password Browser Extension) or application (1Password mini)

In many cases manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save information to allow it to fill correctly. Just try these steps to save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form

Let me know how it goes.

Additionally I usually find myself clicking or hitting enter on the correct logon item in the search results hoping this will fill into the window i've most recently had in focus however I find it closes my search results and either does nothing if there is no website listed under the logon item or opens up the website that is listed in my logon item and I have to perform the search again.
    I also find that the website does not open in a new tab but rather opens within the tab i've most recently been using and usually want to keep open.

Can you give me a specific example? 1Password should not fill unless the current page matches what's saved in the Login. But if it does not, selecting it should take you to the URL you have saved in the Login. It sounds like maybe that's happening, but you just don't want it to use the current tab. If so, that's an option coming soon. But if the website is not opening, I wonder if you don't have a URL saved at all in some of your Login items. Let me know the details. :)

• lmanning
    lmanning
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Thanks for getting back to me.

We've intentionally made 1Password so that it will only fill login credentials on a webpage if its URL matches the URL saved in the Login item. This is an important defense against phishing scams. If you need to use a specific account on multiple websites, you can add multiple URLs to the Login item in 1Password.

Thanks for explaining the reasoning here but in the case of a phishing scam the user would still have to perform a search for the credential before autofilling. They can also already fill the credential manually, they just have to fill the username followed by the password, I would definitely use an option to fill both username/password into the current browser tab from a search.

It sounds like maybe that's happening, but you just don't want it to use the current tab. If so, that's an option coming soon. But if the website is not opening, I wonder if you don't have a URL saved at all in some of your Login items. Let me know the details. :)

Yes in the case where the website doesn't open it is because I don't have a website listed against the login item and yes an option to open in a new tab rather than the current tab would be great.

I guess what I'm really getting at is that for both the web browser add-on and 1Password mini I would like a feature to fill both username/password into the previously active window/current tab, rather than having to fill username/password one at a time and select which window to fill to each time. Ideally I think this would be achieved by clicking or hitting enter on the result of a search but if this functional already opens the related website then a new option in the right click context menu would also be great.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for explaining the reasoning here but in the case of a phishing scam the user would still have to perform a search for the credential before autofilling. They can also already fill the credential manually, they just have to fill the username followed by the password, I would definitely use an option to fill both username/password into the current browser tab from a search.

It's not something we have any plans for. If you search and select a different login, 1Password can take you to the URL you have saved in it. If you do really need to use a login on multiple websites, you can easily add multiple URLs.

Yes in the case where the website doesn't open it is because I don't have a website listed against the login item and yes an option to open in a new tab rather than the current tab would be great.

I'd suggest saving a URL then, preferably by saving the login in your browser (which will automatically include the URL):

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form

This also allows 1Password to save additional information from the form to fill better. Just try these steps to save the login manually.

I guess what I'm really getting at is that for both the web browser add-on and 1Password mini I would like a feature to fill both username/password into the previously active window/current tab, rather than having to fill username/password one at a time and select which window to fill to each time. Ideally I think this would be achieved by clicking or hitting enter on the result of a search but if this functional already opens the related website then a new option in the right click context menu would also be great.

The reason 1Password exists is to open websites to fill login credentials there. Certainly you're entitled to make up your own way of doing things, but we're not going to design around that when everyone else we hear from is not using 1Password that way. Ultimately you'd also benefit by having 1Password save you manual steps by using it's filling features we've built, which can save you time and effort in aggregate.

• lmanning
    lmanning
    Community Member

What would your recommendation be for filling into applications on Windows be though, as far as I can see that still requires manually filling the username followed by the password as I have described?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lmanning: You mean like apps, as opposed to browsers which give us a way to integrate with them? If you right-click a Login item and highlight a field, you can use the "Type in window" option to fill it in many standard Windows apps. And we're hoping to expand on that in the future as well, into a larger Auto-Type feature. :)

• lmanning
    lmanning
    Community Member

Great, is there a timeline for the larger autofill feature or the opening in new tab option from a search?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lmanning: We don't offer timelines for unreleased features. But the "New tab" option is available in the current beta.

This discussion has been closed.