Chrome 72 Beta has a new code signature that is not whitelisted by 1Password 7 [Fix is coming soon]

Options
Hogmeister58
Hogmeister58
Community Member
edited December 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I now get the attach error each time I start Chrome Version 72.0.3626.17 (Official Build) beta (64-bit). I am running Windows 10 on an HP running a AMD Athlon Processor. (see clips)
The Chrome extension no longer works even after uninstalling then re-installing, whilst he icon is still there ,if clicked it just produces a dropdown menu with "1Password extension (Desktop App required)" on top...which I have installed and it is working

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Unauthorised access

Comments

• VolSol
    VolSol
    Community Member
    Options

I started opening programs this morning on my PC and nearly as soon as I got Chrome open I got a Windows 10 style notification with a title of "Browser connection refused", and detail text (if you will) of "1Password refused connection from untrusted source, check logs for details." I did install Windows updates at the end of the day yesterday, so the machine rebooted overnight. I assume there's the possibility that Chrome also updated as well. It's Chrome Beta, if that'd help point to anything (v 72.0.3626.17 (Official Build) beta (64-bit) (cohort: Beta)).

If I view the console I see a message repeating stating ERR:11080 │ 1Password::api:1802 │ 690162ms │ Refusing helper connection from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome Beta\Application\chrome.exe", because of untrusted publisher Google LLC. That "ERR:" value changes in the messages as does the "ms" value.

I did a few quick searches through the FAQ/KB and the support forums, but didn't see much that was definitive. A lot of references to antivirus and/or firewalls. I'm only running the built-in Windows Defender software, and I have the Windows Firewall disabled ('cause I'm either brave or stupid, one of the two, please don't ask my wife which). I suppose it's possible one of those two are playing some silly game, but I kind of doubt it.

I'm also finding some references to a "1Password X" extension. Am I supposed to be using that instead of the extension I currently have installed?

I've got a diagnostics report HTML file standing by in case I need to email it to your support email address, but while navigating around the site it made it sound like I'd have a better chance of getting help more quickly on here, so here I am.

My question, since I've seen a few support folk say "I didn't see a question in your message", is "what's going wrong, why is has it suddenly gone wrong, and what can be done to fix it?"

1Password Version: 7.2.581
    Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
    OS Version: Windows 10 1803 (OS Build 17134.471)
    Sync Type: 1Password

• jribbens
    jribbens
    Community Member
    Options

I have the exact same version of everything as you and the exact same problem. Something to note is that "about:chrome" says "An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x8007001F -- system level)". Reinstalling Chrome, 1Password and the 1Password Chrome Extension makes no difference. It seems like Windows Update KB4471324 (OS Build 17134.471) has a problem.

• jribbens
    jribbens
    Community Member
    Options

It's perhaps also worth noting that Google Chrome "Not-Beta" (71.0.3578.98) does not have these problems.

• Naidu
    Naidu
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue with chrome 72.

• It looks like Chrome beta is now signed by Google LLC while stable (and even beta installer) are still signed with Google Inc.

Support for new certificate is coming to with next 1Password Beta update. Thanks for letting us know!

• MikeT
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi @Hogmeister58,

Thanks for reporting this. I've merged your post into this thread.

Google has changed their code signature in the latest Chrome 72 Beta build, which is not in our whitelisted code signatures list. We'll be shipping an update soon to support the new code signature but for now, use the Chrome 71 stable build.

• Hogmeister58
    Hogmeister58
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, just for the benefit of someone who is not tech savvy..(born in the age of the Vinyl album you see) would you be so kind as to explain how I "use the Chrome 71 Stable Build" I assume that means rolling back the version I am using.. but I'm not used to doing that Very many thanks again for such a prompt response

• Hi @Hogmeister58,

Uninstall the current Chrome version via Control Panel and install the stable version from here: https://www.google.com/chrome/

• Hogmeister58
    Hogmeister58
    Community Member
    Options

Methinks that won't work (correct me if I am wrong) that'll just reload the latest version.. I did a bit of a dig around and I theeeenk you need to go to somewhere with a verified earlier version. I used Slimbrowser's website (other products may be available, but best to check the certificate etc first ) Anyways it works now thank you once again

• It doesn't, the beta installer is from this page; https://www.google.com/chrome/beta/

I'm glad you got it to work now.

• Naidu
    Naidu
    Community Member
    Options

I am a corporate machine can't roll back please release a fix soon!

• Hi @Naidu,

I'm very surprised that your company is using an unsupported Beta version of Chrome.

We don't generally support unstable builds of web browsers but we'll our best to release an update to support this but we're not going to prioritize this since it is still a beta build that may change again prior to its stable release.

• ceasley
    ceasley
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing this error on Chrome 71 now.

• jmol
    jmol
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on "stable" Chrome as well. Same issue.

• Yep, instead of a new certificate in Chrome 72 beta, they've simply let the old certificate expired today in Chrome stable instead.

Our current fix that we've finished testing for Chrome 72 won't work for the stable build because supporting a new certificate is fine but allowing an expired certificate is a thing we don't want to do. We're trying to figure this out and will release an update soon, more details will being in the other thread.

• We've shipped 7.2.617 update with the fix for the expired certificate in Chrome 71 stable and also Chrome 72 Beta.

This discussion has been closed.