I need to migrate my 1Password database to a new Mac.

Options
levelbest
levelbest
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Mac

My main Mac bit the dust. It had a full working 1Password database. I have a backup MacBook Pro working now. It was once cloned from the old iMac but it has not been updated in quite a while so it's 1Password db needs to take up the information in the old iMac 1Password DB.

I am in the process of making sure all my apps licenses migrate successfully to my new Mac. Naturally I have to look up registration information quite often in this process. Only my passwords are still in my 1Password db from my old drive.

I have managed to cannibalize my old iMac hard drive. Before I start messing around with dragging, dropping, and overriding previous dbs in my Application Support folders, I want to make sure I don't do harm to my stored passwords.

If I wasn't clear enough, I want to migrate my 1Password from the old drive to the new 1Password drive and machine. 1Password is already installed in both places but I need the information in the old drives 1Password files to migrate to what is in the new drives 1Password files.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:migrate

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @levelbest

The vault database, backup files, license files and Watchtower vulnerability data are all contained in a single folder. The location of that folder, for 1Password 6 for Mac, will vary depending on where you downloaded 1Password from:

• Mac App Store version
      ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/

• AgileBits Store version
      ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

Note that “1Password 4” is the correct directory name even in 1Password 6.

For the future I'd highly recommend looking into 1Password membership, primarily for two reasons:

1. Your encrypted data will be stored on 1Password.com and to get going on a new device all you'd need to do is install 1Password and sign in to your 1Password account
    2. It would enable you to use the latest versions of 1Password on all of your devices. 1Password 6 for Mac has been retired and is no longer being updated.

You can read more about membership here:

About 1Password membership

I hope that helps!

Ben

• levelbest
    levelbest
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I am glad to know how to finish my migration of my files.

I am in no way interested in a membership as that is another word for your new model of a subscription. As I have previously gone into the subject at some length, we can leave it at that.

I will say that I got 1Password because it allowed me to protect my passwords and to store them safely on my computer. To give your servers broader access "for my protection" - regardless of how secure you might argue your servers to be, is just more control taken away from my own practices to secure my passwords.

I am not suggesting that your new system is not secure. I am saying that this type of security does not fit with my own standards and practices.

Respectfully, no thank you.

• Ben
    Options

I'd argue that data availability is a critical part of information security and that relying on being able to pull files off an old computer is probably not the most secure practice. Either way, I suspect we've both said our peace. Best of luck. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.