I'm the Admin of a Family Account And I Lost My Secret Key

Pizzaman
Pizzaman
Community Member

I'm the administrator of my family account and I neglected to save my Secret Key somewhere. My laptop was stolen and I can't access my 1P account or the administrative options. I've perused through the help files but can't seem to find a way to recover my key or access the admin panel. I don't want to blow up the entire vault because of my lost info.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Unfortunately that is the only recourse unless you've added another Family Organizer to the membership. If there is another organizer they can help you through the recovery process to get a new Secret Key and Master Password, but if there is not starting over will be the only option.

Ben

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

@Pizzaman

You would be able to retrieve the key if your iOS device is logged into the account. ??? Look in the settings panel, under account, reveal secret key. I am not sure about an android device.
    Just throwing it out there as a last ditch effort. Hopefully you have a device still logged into the account somewhere,

Cc @bwoodruff

• I didn't see any mention of any mobile devices?

Ben

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

Hoping out loud for the OP's sake.

• Pizzaman
    Pizzaman
    Community Member

What does that mean for the rest of the people who have access to the vault? I just start the whole thing over? How does that work for billing, since I'm still getting charged.

• Pizzaman
    Pizzaman
    Community Member

And, thank you for all the replies. I do not personally have a device logged in. My wife has access but she's not an admin.

• @thightower

It was a good thought.

Ben

• @Pizzaman

Here is how the process would work:

You'd sign up for a new 1Password Families membership, being sure to print your Emergency Kit this time. Then you'd invite your family to that new membership. They'll sign in to their new accounts within the apps. At this point everyone except for you will be signed into two accounts. Your family will copy their data over from the old membership to the new. Unfortunately not having a record of your Secret Key this will not be an option for you. Once they have transitioned all of their data to the new membership you'll email our sales team at sales@1password.com from the email address associated with your memebship to delete the old membership and transfer any remaining credit to the new one. In deleting the old membership your subscription will stop. You'll then need to set up a new subscription on the new membership. I'd highly recommend that every member print their Emergency Kit, and that you establish a second organizer, once the new membership is established.

When you email in to sales you'll get a support ID back from BitBot. Please post that ID here so that we can get your request in front of the right eyes.

I hope that helps. Thanks.

Ben

• Pizzaman
    Pizzaman
    Community Member

Thx, Ben.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We're here to help in any way we can. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.