How to move my vault to a non-synced directory on my mac ?

Options
michelangelo
michelangelo
Community Member

Hello. I have been using 1Password for quite a while now. It worked, it worked so well that I do not know why and how it works. It is on the internal drive of my MacBookPro, synced by iCloud to my iMac, my iPhone 5c and my old iPad mini. But now I may have goofed and need help.

Years ago, when I set up my App Store IPassword single user, I decided to locate the vault in my mac internal drive. Not on a far-away server. For sync, I used iCloud. This is still what appears in Preferences.

A while ago, I moved (without thinking) the directory containing my vault into a Dropbox folder (still with icloud sync). Apparently the vault got synced on Dropbox, for no reason, and continued to work nevertheless.

The iCloud sync with my iPad still seemed to work this morning. Now, I don't know how to check.

This morning, forgetting about the existence of this vault (silly me), I moved the entire directory containing it to a new location of my internal hard drive Which I had decided would be kept synchronised to a far-away pCloud cloud drive. Now my vault is no longer on Dropbox, but a synchronised copy of my vault exists on pCloud. Too many vaults. That should not be. One iCloud synchronised vault, outside pCoud or Dropbox enclaves, would be far better than that.

I therefore want to move my vault to a location with is solely on my internal HD, neither on a Dropbox synchronised location, nor on a pCloud synchronised location.

Can I just move it and delete the extra one or am i being too thick here ? TIA

(macOS 10.13.6, 1Password 6.8.8 app store)

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:How to move my vault to a non-synced directory on my mac ?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@michelangelo - I'm sorry for the confusion. If you're running any modern version of 1Password for Mac (4 or later), the vault itself is located in your /Users/name/Library directory. It's an internal SQLite file, and you don't need to worry about it. The external file you can see is your sync keychain which you will have only if you're syncing your data with other devices. There are a number of ways to do it, iCloud and Dropbox being the two main ones for standalone 1Password. It sounds as if you may have been using both of them over the years, which may cause some issues. But the first thing to do would be for you to open either Preferences > Sync (on Mac) or Settings > Sync (in 1Password for iOS), and check what method of sync you're using for each vault you have. If you have only a single 1Password vault, then this will be easier. If you have multiple vaults, it's entirely possible you've been using different methods for different vaults. But the first thing to do is: check. Can you let me know what the sync method is for all devices? If it's the same, then you're probably fine. If not, we'll need to do some more searching and potentially adjusting of your sync setup.

• michelangelo
    michelangelo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot.

One vault only, called "Principal", and my MacBookPro's data must prevail over any other device's data (which can be deleted if found out of sync).

I checked

MacBook: Sync ins "ON", via iCloud
    iMac: Sync is "None" (since one year)
    iPad mini 1st generation (214 elements): Sync is "Start sync"
    iPhone 5c (215 elements): Sync is "Start Sync

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@michelangelo - thanks for the additional information. "Start Sync" is the same (on iOS) as "None" is on Macs -- it means you have never synced that data on those devices. Fortunately, you say the data on your MacBook Pro is the one that you need to keep, so this becomes easy: on the other devices, we're going to remove the existing data, then sync via iCloud. Assuming you're signed into iCloud using the same Apple ID on all devices, this should be straightforward:

On your iMac, in 1Password for Mac, click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data -- WARNING: this will do exactly what it says (delete all data), so be sure you want to do it. 1Password will quit, and when you re-launch it, it will be as if you are a brand-new user. Choose the option to sync your data from iCloud. Verify that it's the same as the data on your MacBook Pro.

On your iOS devices, tap Settings > Advanced > Erase all 1Password data. 1Password will do that, then quit. Relaunch it from your device's home screen, and then once again, use the option to sync via iCloud on first-run after relaunch.

Let me know how you get on. :)

This discussion has been closed.