1 year free [2018 Thanksgiving promotion has ended]

rswc90rswc90 Junior Member
edited December 2018 in Purchasing

I bought 1PW 7 online and was offered to gift 1 year free to friends and family. How do I do this? I clicked on "send your gift now" but the only way for them to do anything is to sign up for 30 days free.... What am I missing?
Thanks!

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS
Sync Type: online
Referrer: forum-search:share 1PW free with friends and family

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@rswc90: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! As mentioned on the page, that was a Thanksgiving promotion. It ended last month, after running for about a week.

• rswc90rswc90 Junior Member

actually, it says December 20th on the letter. I signed up last month November 6th and was told to wait the 30 days (as I understood it) because the subscription would not start officially until the free month passed. Then I could offer it once I was paid up. I sent the gift notice Nov 20th. (I can forward you the email) but they never received the code. I thought that this (below) meant that they had until December 20th. My subscription has been paid in full and they are ready to sign up to try this. Thanks for the fast reply...

"Happy Thanksgiving
    Our Thanksgiving promotion has now ended. If you have already been sent a year of 1Password by a friend, you need to redeem this by December 20th 2018."

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@rswc90: The invitation which you'd send someone for the free year would expire 30 days from when you sent it. If you sent them (that would have had to be done during the promotion) they'd still be good at this point. But the person would need to sign up using that invitation in order to get the free year. It doesn't work for existing accounts, only new 1Password Families memberships.

If you were still on the free trial at the time, you would not be eligible to gift a free year to someone like that. But if you had tried, you'd be offered the option to start your subscription right away in order to send gifts. Did you do that?

Your email does not say FAMILY -- just for the record. It says "Gifts can be sent to direct family members, extended family, friends, or someone who is doing good things in your community. Showing them you care is sure to bring a smile to their faces.

Thanks for the explanation -- although it does not match the email sent out on 11/20.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@rswc90

I don't follow, sorry. How does your last post relate to what brenty was saying?

Ben

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@rswc90: In case it caused some confusion, my reference to 1Password Families was that it is a specific membership plan we offer:

https://1password.com/families/

The promotion was that someone with a 1Password 7 license or a subscription paid into 2019 during the promotional period could send a free year of 1Password Families as a gift.

I paid for a new subscription during that time period. I had been using the stand-alone. I received the email invitation to share 1password to “...extended family members, friends or someone who is doing good things in your community” It does not state anywhere in the letter that it has to be set up as a Family account. If that is what you meant, I am sorry. It just does not say that on the email I have. If I could attach the email, I would send it to you. Again, thanks for your reply.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@rswc90: I think we're almost there, but I want to clarify how it worked just to make sure we're on the same page. If

1. you paid for a subscription through 2019 before the Thanksgiving promotion ended and
    2. you sent the Thanksgiving gift email to someone from your 1Password account,

they could use the promotional link in the email you sent them to sign up for a 1Password Families membership for free for the first year.

If you did not do those things, the promotion is ended and it's too late now. But if you did that and you encountered a problem or they're having trouble redeeming the gift now, please shoot us an email at [email protected] with the details so we can help. :)

Thank you. I will pass on that information. Please tell me the specific date that the promotion ended so we can be as clear as possible.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

November 30th, 2018 was the last day to send invitations and invitatations can be accepted a maximum of 30 days after they are sent.

Ben

• edited December 2018

Hi Ben, I hope you and your fellow co-workers at AgileBits had a great Christmas, full of cheer and delicious treats ( and more turkey!)
    That said, here is my "problem"...

I've purchased my first 1Password license back in December 31st 2013. I paid those upgrade fees each time they were requested of me (not very often, which honestly is great cuz I not only love this product, but I trust it).

November 26th 2018, I decided to try 1Password7 with 30-day free trial before committing myself again. That Thanksgiving promo was definitely something I wanted... I did not know the promo had to be locked in by December 20th, as I assumed that I would still get the promotion as I started my 30 day trial before the promotion ended.... Had I known, I would have started my paid membership sooner.

I will still buy the 1Password 7 membership.. Ive been with you guys since the very start and plan to continue on with ya... Could we work something out that would be closer to that deal I lost out on due to this complete misunderstanding (and my stupid error?) I know better than to demand or to expect AgileBits to bend the laws of time due to my mistake, but Im hoping maybe something close could be worked out? I'll understand if you say no, but Im also hoping someone there will sympathize my plight..
    Should you, or someone else on the team like to contact me directly, feel free.. my email address is [removed by 1Password staff -- this is a public forum]
    whatever you decide, thanks for reading my plea, and happy New Year either way!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@renethefox: First of all, thanks for the kind words and holiday wishes! :) I think Ben might still be away enjoying some rest, relaxation, and refreshment, but all of us here at 1Password have had a great year and are looking forward to the next. I hope the same for you. :chuffed: And I'm glad to hear that 1Password has found a good home with you too.

I've removed the email address from your post since you probably don't want a bunch of yahoos and/or spambots sending you email, but you can contact us directly at [email protected] and we'll be happy to help in any way we can.

However, I think there may be some confusion about the Thanksgiving promotion. How it worked was a person with a paid license for the 1Password 7 desktop app or a 1Password membership paid into 2019 at the time of the promotion (November 22nd through 30th, 2018, I believe) could send someone else the gift of a free year of 1Password Families. That gift would have needed to be sent during the promotional period, and redeemed by the recipient within 30 days. So unless you already had a current paid license or membership, you would not have been able to send the free year to someone else; and in order to get the free year, someone else would have had to have sent that to you so you could redeem it within a month.

Anyway, from your description, it doesn't sound like that applies to you, and that promotion has been over for a while now, but we're glad to help in any way we can. :)

• Well yes almost, but I got one of my close friends to signup for the free 30 days at the same time as me so he could see why he should join us all at 1Password as he would for sure benefit from it..and the initial plan was that id buy my 1 year renewal and then gift him a year for free ( to really make sure he great attached to 1Password like I have been all these years! )
    I had purchased 1Password3, and only had to pay a upgrade to go to version 5, and I think again to upgrade to version 6 ( December 18, 2014 I think?)
    thanks for. protecting my email address, and for sure I can email that team later and see.
    :-)

Rene

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Any time. :)

• I tried taking advantage of the cool Thanksgiving offer, to finally get my sister-in-law and her husband, and their two adult children onto 1Password. I sent the offer code to sister-in-law/husband, to my nephew, and to my niece. I figured that I'd step them through getting everything set up while I was visiting them over the holidays. I didn't see anything when I gave the codes about an expiration date and they didn't bother opening / reading their Emails, because I wasn't there yet to walk them through it.

So, none of them benefited. Nephew turned out to already be a 1Password user (and he got an extra hug). Niece and sister-in-law, we fired things up after the hustle and bustle of Christmas, and the codes had expired. For my niece, I bought a "gift card" for her that should pay for about two years and got her set up. For my sister-in-law, they bought their own "gift card" and I got them set up.

It would be extra special awesome if someone could contact me via Email and work out to give them a membership extension.

Oh, and BTW, none of my wife, her sister, or her husband had a clue as to how they would go about setting up 1Password if they didn't have me sitting right there with them. Even with me there, it was touch-and-go for a while. So for them and my niece, I'm actually your first tier tech support. :-)

• SeanFosterSeanFoster

Team Member

@RonHeiby I'm sorry to hear the invitation expired before they had a chance to utilize it! If you're able to send in an email to [email protected] I should be able to follow-up with you there and get things sorted out. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file