attempt to write a readonly database

Options
Gerbert
Gerbert
Community Member

1Password 7
Version 7.2.2 (70202007)
Mac App Store

When I try to edit an existing entry I get the errormsg " attempt to write a readonly database".
I also can't find the sync method used in preferences.

Any idea's?

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Mojave
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_kevin
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi @Gerbert ,

Did you do a backup/restore recently? Or do you use a disk deduplication utility? Sometimes those actions can affect permissions.

Here's a tip to try. If that doesn't work, we can get some more diagnostic information from you to see what the issue is. But first try this:

1. Quit 1Password by holding down the option, clicking the 1Password icon in the menubar, and choosing Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Open the Terminal in /Applications/Utilities
    3. Enter the command cd ~/Library/Group\ Containers and press return.
    4. Then enter the command sudo chown -R $USER 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits and press return. Enter your Mac’s password when asked and press return.

Then start 1Password again. Let us know if you still have the issue or it goes away.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• Gerbert
    Gerbert
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the solution, your proposed solution is 100% spot on the problem is indeed solved.
    I now can write to the 1password database.

Thanks
    Gerbert

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Gerbert - awesome! On behalf of @ag_kevin, you're quite welcome. Glad he was able to assist you. :)

• Dupic
    Dupic
    Community Member
    Options

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, think we replied in the other thread. :)

• Jumbo81
    Jumbo81
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem of getting the "attempt to write a readonly database" message. 1Password won't let me generate new passwords or edit any existing passwords. I tried the instructions above and had no luck. What's my next step?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019
    Options

@Jumbo81: That happens when you've copied 1Password's files from somewhere else, and they have the wrong permissions (e.g. belonging to another macOS user account). You'd need to either change those permissions manually, or remove the files and have 1Password recreate them. Don't do either unless you have your data backed up elsewhere. What did you do exactly to get into this state?

• Jumbo81
    Jumbo81
    Community Member
    Options

I switched Mac computers. Installed all my old data from a previous MacBook onto a new one using TimeMachine. I'm able to use 1Password and to log into the site, but can't seem to save or make changes. Suggestions would be appreciated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jumbo81: If you have all of your data in your 1Password account, it's probably simplest to just wipe out 1Password and its support files (which have incorrect permissions from you copying it over from another computer) and then setup the app again from scratch with your account; it can then recreate all of its files under your current user account permissions. Otherwise, you'd need to manually fix the permissions yourself, as 1Password cannot do that; it does not have elevated privileges to do so.

This discussion has been closed.