Interface 1Password

Hi all!

I've recently started using 1password and let's start of by saying that I love it!
It was driving me crazy having to change my password (since I used mostly the same) every two weeks because a major site got hacked again (actually gave up after a while).
Also it seems to be the best choice out there, mainly due to local storage, multiplatform support, very good extensions and a unbelievably polished OSX version.

The only thing that seems lacking to me is the windows and android verison.

Functionality wise the windows version seems as good as the OSX version to me. The thing that's lacking though (in my eyes) is the interface.
It's pretty much your standard windows UI, and while I mainly use windows, I find the OSX UI to be superior.

So I wanted to suggest porting the OSX UI to the windows version, and while i highly encourage developing a custom UI, I think the windows version would benefit from having the OSX UI (maybe as a theme) for starters (look at itunes, it isn't perfect but it's better looking and more clear than most programs for Windows out there).

Thanks for listening and keep up the good work :)!

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Some users believe our Windows UI resembles our Mac UI too much, and complain about it. Others believe our Windows UI looks too much like, uhmm, a Windows application, and ask us to make it look like the Mac UI.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    dcreus wrote:

look at itunes, it's better looking and more clear than most programs for Windows out there

You must be kidding me ;-) iTunes on Windows is a nightmare.

• You must be kidding me :wink: iTunes on Windows is a nightmare.

And yet I dont see it :P but okay maybe that's a bad example (I knew someone was gonna say itunes is horrible). My point is, the OSX UI gets a lot of praise, so why not make it available on Windows? You can still develop a Windows UI for windows only users / windows native users (even though i'm one myself) and offer the OSX ui as a theme, If only for the sake of consistency.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2012
    dcreus wrote:

And yet I dont see it

UI design is in the eye of the beholder. You might like what I hate, and vice versa.

dcreus wrote:

My point is, the OSX UI gets a lot of praise, so why not make it available on Windows?

Because it is a different OS. We're already receiving complaints from users who are saying our Windows version is clearly a port of the Mac version, and does not resemble a "true Windows application". Whatever that means.

For 1Password 4, we're planning on overhauling the Windows UI and "borrow" some of the looks of our Mac version. I agree it looks great.
  • dcreus
    edited January 2012

Because it is a different OS. We're already receiving complaints from users who are saying our Windows version is clearly a port of the Mac version, and does not resemble a "true Windows application". Whatever that means.

I think that means that the program looks too standard and isn't customized enough, and therefore it resembles a port.

For 1Password 4, we're planning on overhauling the Windows UI and "borrow" some of the looks of our Mac version. I agree it looks great.

Great :) but it isn't the version currently 1 (nowhere near 4)?
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    dcreus wrote:

isn't the version currently 1Password v1 (windows)?

Correct. On Mac, the current version number is 3. Once we release version 4 for Mac, the next Windows version will follow and skip version 2 and 3.
  • dcreus
    edited January 2012
    Ah okay, and do you have any idea how far away v4 is? I have already purchased the MAS 1password since it will get a free upgrade anyways, but i'm stil in my 30 day demo period for the windows version. Would be rather annoying if I would purchase a Windows license now only to find out that the new version is released a few weeks / month later.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2012
    dcreus wrote:

do you have any idea how far away v4 is?

we will release it when it is ready :wink: but do not expect it to arrive in the next couple of weeks.
  • Okay i feel safe buying a windows license then :)
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    You should. We've always taken very good care of existing customers when we've released a major upgrade of 1Password for Mac, and I have no reason to think we'll do otherwise, when the first major upgrade of 1Password for Windows is released.

Thanks for using 1Password!
  • dcreus
    edited January 2012
    Good to know cause I have a feeling I'm gonna be one for a long time (at least until a universal ID is released) ;)
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    That's great news, dcreus! Thanks so much for your support.
This discussion has been closed.