Trouble syncing with dropbox. Preferences not showing sync icon in menu.

Options
FDE
FDE
Community Member

I have an iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 OS. 1Password version is 6.8.8 purchased from Mac App Store. I sync my 1password data to dropbox. It stopped syncing regularly several months ago. Now the data on my iPhone + running iOS 12.1 does not sync 1Password data with my computer. I see the iPhone is syncing to dropbox. I do not see my mac syncing. I tried troubleshooting the mac but there is no icon for sync showing up in the menu. I'm not sure what to do next.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @FDE! If you open 1Password 6 for Mac's Preferences and you don't see a tab for Sync along the top bar, then you've likely created a 1password.com account at some point. Could that be the case? If so - if you did indeed create a 1password.com account on your Mac, then that will be the reason you can't see a Sync panel in 1Password Preferences: because 1password.com accounts sync automatically via the 1password.com servers; they don't require iCloud or Dropbox or anything else.

Normally, this is a good (and easy) thing, but if you didn't switch your other devices over to the new account after you created it, then they'll still be using a different data set, synced via Dropbox. Could that be the case?

• rossj00000
    rossj00000
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks for the post @FDE. I had a separate post about the keychain file with @brenty which evolved to an inquiry about what happened to the option to sync via iCloud or Dropbox, and yes the sync button is gone in preferences as I also experienced. I referenced them as Agilebits servers but I should have referenced them as 1Password.com servers which seems to be the recognized name for them. @Lars, not really certain how a 1Password membership/account affects how a software application functions/operates which removes functionality. I did have a previous email exchange with an Agilebits rep where I only had a personal vault and explicitly indicated I didn’t want my data to go through 1Password.com servers. I got the feeling that if one had multiple vaults, and not just a personal vault that the functionality lost would come back in 1Password7 to the user.
    Shockingly, @Ben suggested I restart 1Password to manually invoke a sync as opposed to losing functionality. 😞
    @Lars, please tell me your 1Password.com servers run on a mainframe(99.9% uptime) platform and not the midrange environment. 😄

• FDE
    FDE
    Community Member
    Options

Thank You. Yes, that should be it. I guess I didn't realize I had switched over the mac or that the dropbox syncing would stop. I see that I will need to update my devices to sync to the same place. I'll look for instructions on how to switch over my iOS devices. Any suggestion on how to update my mac with the stuff from my iphone?

• FDE
    FDE
    Community Member
    Options

Also, since I have data syncing from my iPhone to dropbox and from my mac to the 1Password account how can I merge data from both? Then I can choose one syncing method for all.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FDE - so, depending upon how long ago you created this 1password.com account, my suggestions will vary. If it was fairly recently, and things haven't changed much (or at all) in either place, you can simply do this in 1Password for iOS:

1. Tap Settings > Advanced > Erase all 1Password Data
    2. Restart 1Password for iOS from your home screen
    3. Sign into your 1password.com account

But if it's been a while, or you're certain you have data updated in both places, then you'll want to be a bit more careful. In such a case, what I'd do is add your 1password.com account into 1Password for iOS, then you can move/copy any items that have been changed in the standalone vault on your iOS device but NOT in your 1password.com account, until finally you have what you would consider a complete and up-to-date copy of your 1password data in your 1password.com vault(s). Then, follow the above instructions to remove the no-longer-necessary standalone vault. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.