Completely remove any trace of 1Password 7

Options
daroit
daroit
Community Member

Can you please specify how to completely remove 1Password7? I followed several recommendations from you before, kill everything on Activity Monitor, etc...and then trying to reboot, but it keeps showing up every time I reboot my Mac.

Please stop forcing everyone to upgrade, I did buy my license in the past and it works perfectly well.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @daroit! I'm sorry for the trouble. If you want to remove 1Password 7 for Mac completely, you'll need to do two things:

1. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    2. Make sure Safari is also not running, in the current user account or any others (probably best to sign out of any Fast-User Switching accounts before you attempt this process.

Let us know how you get on. :)

Please stop forcing everyone to upgrade...

We don't. What we do is urge everyone to keep their systems as current as possible, and that includes their browsers and any extensions they have installed, as well as their copy of 1Password for Mac and of course, macOS. As a security company, it would be irresponsible of us to urge or endorse anything else.

I did buy my license in the past and it works perfectly well.

You didn't say what version of 1Password for Mac your existing license is for, but I did notice you said you're using the most-current version of macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”). That's fine -- for now. But if your existing license is for an older version of 1Password (like version 6), especially if you use Safari, there will be a limited lifespan of how long that will continue to work. Already in Mojave, Apple have made substantial changes to Safari 12, deprecating the older, .safariextz style of extensions we've all become accustomed to using over the past few years. For the moment, they'll continue to work...but Apple have already said they'll be sunsetting the Safari Extensions Gallery sometime around the end of the year, which means at some point in the not-too-distant future, your choices (if you're a Safari user and a holder of an earlier version license) will be: use a different browser or upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac. That's not because we "force people to upgrade," it's because Apple will no longer allow the extension type used in previous versions of 1Password in the new Safari 12. So, feel free to use your existing license of 1Password on any hardware and versions of macOS you continue to have that can still run it...but don't necessarily expect to be able to keep updating macOS and your browser but keep using the same version of 1Password you purchased a license for two or four or six years ago. It just won't work at some point. Hope that's helpful. :)

• daroit
    daroit
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars.

That recommendation just don't work. Every time I reboot/shut down 1Password 7 magically shows up again as one of my installed apps.

• Ben
    Options

Where is it showing up, @daroit? Could you please post a screenshot?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Ben

• daroit
    daroit
    Community Member
    Options

It's showing up in my Mac apps folder.

On top of that, I can see that the plugin changed and it's telling me I need to buy?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daroit - that's a screenshot for 1Password 6 for Mac, not 1Password 7 for Mac.

If 1Password 6 for Mac is in read-only mode (assuming you want to keep it), that means you need to apply your previously-purchased 1Password 6 license.

• daroit
    daroit
    Community Member
    Options

Can you help me locating my license?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daroit - Legacy license files are no longer available for download directly from us, but you should be able to use these instructions to find your existing license.

• daroit
    daroit
    Community Member
    Options

I can't find that file on my Mac, any other option?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daroit - do you have your original receipt from us? The email which would have contained your purchase as well as a link to the license file?

• daroit
    daroit
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

[image removed by AgileBits; this is a public forum]
    Find it here

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daroit - ah, thanks -- that's a receipt from the Mac App Store, not from us. As with any other software purchased from the Mac App Store, it has no license number because it's tied to your Apple ID. So, if you originally downloaded/purchased 1Password for Mac from there, you need to re-download/re-install from the same source; you can't just substitute our version. Please uninstall our version of 1Password for Mac, open the Mac App Store on your Mac, go to your purchase history, and re-install 1Password directly from there. Cheers! :)

• daroit
    daroit
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, my current installed Mac version is coming from the App Store, I didn't change anything. This message on the plugin came after 1Password7 launched.

Let me insist, I didn't do anything, you guys are breaking everything that worked so well for years.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daroit - can you please take a screenshot of the top-left corner of your screen, where the name of the application is, for the version you’re having the troubles with that you included the “Read Only” shot for earlier? Thanks. Just a screen-capture of the name of the application. Thanks.

• daroit
    daroit
    Community Member
    Options

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daroit - thanks. Do you have any other copies of 1Password installed or present on your Mac? You can check with a Spotlight search. Make sure to include attached external drives as well.

• daroit
    daroit
    Community Member
    Options

No

• daroit
    daroit
    Community Member
    Options

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daroit - OK. Sounds like you may have downloaded from the main 1Password page in the Mac App Store, instead of from your Purchases page. You'll need to Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then delete the 1Password app by dragging it to the trash. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Then open the Mac App Store and visit the Purchases section. In macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), that's accomplished by clicking your name in the lower left corner of the window. Look back through your purchases and locate your original 1Password download, and you should see "install" next to it.

• MoorheadRadar
    MoorheadRadar
    Community Member
    Options

You are showing icons for Option-Command-Q for quitting 1Password, but explaining to use Control and Option keys while choosing Quit from the 1Password Menu. Unless I'm just too tired and reading this wrong. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MoorheadRadar: If you press Command Q, it closes the main 1Password app window. If you press Command Q while holding Control and Option, it will quit all 1Password processes. You can find a lot of cool stuff in macOS apps if you hold down the Option key when going through their menus, as it's a modifier. :)

• MoorheadRadar
    MoorheadRadar
    Community Member
    Options

I did miss the symbol for the Control button ^ , but here's how I read what Lars wrote:

Quit 1Password completely by using these shortcut keys ^⌥⌘Q , then in parentheses he explains to just hold the Control key and Option key as you Quit from the Menu. What happened to the Command key in his description?

brenty, your description matches the symbols.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MoorheadRadar: Ohhhhhhhhhh. I was confused by your question for a minute there, but I get it now!

If you use the menu item, you don't need to press either ⌘ or Q. The menu item itself is equivalent to that keyboard command. So you can do one of the following:

• Press and Q while holding and .
    • Click Quit 1Password Completely while holding and *.

*If you don't hold and , the menu item will be Quit 1Password. Does that make sense? :)

• MoorheadRadar
    MoorheadRadar
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I get it now, too! I guess I was just more used to each modifier key matching a manual operation. Thanks for explaining.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah. I hadn't thought of it that way. Cheers! :)

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Message from 1Password staff: Only do this if you don't care about destroying all data you've saved in 1Password.

Use the app called AppCleaner
    https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

AppCleaner is a small application which allows you to thoroughly uninstall unwanted apps.

Installing an application distributes many files throughout your System using space of your Hard Drive unnecessarily.
    AppCleaner finds all these small files and safely deletes them.

Simply drop an application onto the AppCleaner window. It will find for the related files and you can delete them by clicking the delete button.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lysander: That's generally a terrible idea. The files that 1Password saves are people's important data. So unless one wants to start over completely from scratch, it's best not to do that.

This discussion has been closed.