Getting error 1Password was unable to upgrade this vault when trying to convert my v4 vault.

I had v4. My old PC OS crashed, but was able to just copy data from hard drive to new PC. Opted to upgrade during this transition to v7. Installed v7 on the new PC and logged in. Trying to get my old vault open in v7. When I try to open the old vault in the 1Password.agilekeychain folder, I get the error "1Password was unable to upgrade this vault. Check your password or contact Support". Is the vault password different form my master password? I have the old vault on other devices (an MS Surface and an iPad). I can still access there with the PW I tried to use to convert.

1Password Version: 7.2.617
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:error 1Password was unable to upgrade this vault. Upgrading from v4 to v7

Comments

• MikeT
    edited December 2018

Hi @AnneDorman,

Thanks for writing in.

The password can be different but there may be something causing that error.

Do you use any symbols in your master password (don't tell us what it is)?

Have you tried installing Dropbox first on your new PC, wait until it is fully sync'ed and then ask 1Password 7 to open it? It doesn't need to be copied from your old hard drive but from your Dropbox folder instead since you were syncing it with your iPad and Surface.

• AnneDorman
    AnneDorman
    Community Member

I think i figured it out. I was using v. 4 and it seems you need to Import the old vault. I chose import and it worked fine. I am curious though...I used to sync with dropbox, but now it seems it is syncing with a master on my.1password.com? Is that how the v. 7 vault is synced? I've been able to get 2 Windows computers syncing but have an iPad as well. Can't seem to get the iPad to sync...choices are only Dropbox, iCloud or WiFi?

• Hi @AnneDorman,

You shouldn't have to import anything; we can support any existing vaults you had in 1Password 4 and upgrade it on the fly to the OPVault format to use in 1Password 7 and you can still use Dropbox to sync the standalone vaults. However, 1Password.com accounts and Dropbox + standalone vaults are two separate things.

First thing, we can get a better picture of how you're currently configured with the Windows app by looking at the diagnostics report, so we can help you with the iPad sync. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• satanin
    satanin
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hi Im having the same issue here just installed 1password7 and when I select the dropbox folder and type the password a 1password popup window shows but empty, if I check the option to update my vault it says I have to contact with support. My 1password vault password does have numbers,letters and other symbols

• Hi @satanin,

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• satanin
    satanin
    Community Member

Hi! @MikeT

I've just discovered what happens, one of the chars I use for the vault password is the shortcut to show the app, copy-pasting the char solved the issue. Now I would like to change that shortcut and I can´t find it on the settings, how can I change it?.

Thank You!

• Hi @satanin,

Open 1Password, unlock, go to the 1Password menu > Settings and select General tab. You'll see the shortcuts there, you can select Disabled for the show 1Password shortcut if you wish to disable it.

• satanin
    satanin
    Community Member

Thank you again!,

• You're welcome.

We'll try to block the shortcuts on the master password field if we can do it.

• Hi @satanin,

Would it be possible to share that symbol and which language you're in? We'd like to test it and see if we can find a workaround it.

If you'd like more privacy, you can email us at support+windows@1Password.com with a link to this thread.

Thanks!

• satanin
    satanin
    Community Member

No problem the symbol was a closing curly bracket on windows in spanish language.
    }
    We have to press down Alt-Gr+ç to write }

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

It is very strange that 1Password even reserved that shortcut in the first place, it should've defaulted to Control + Alt (aka AltGR) + Shift + # or .

We'll test it and see if we can fix that.

This discussion has been closed.