To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Unable to sign in to 1Password

Options
Jordan123
Jordan123
Community Member

Hi - would appreciate your help..
1Password disappeared from my chrome browser, and is greyed out. I've re-installed it and it's asking me to sign in.
I've never had to sign in before, only had to know my secret password.
It's not recognizing my email & password combination, and keeps asking for a secret key, which I don't have.
I bought a license back in 2015, possibly under an old email address.
In any case, can you tell me how to fix this?
Thank you, Jordan

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dbetty
    dbetty
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It sounds like you've downloaded 1Password X, which is meant for users with a subscription. Could you give installing the linked extension below a spin? This one should work more like the extension you had prior to your reinstallation.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

• Jordan123
    Jordan123
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks - I have re-installed.
    -It takes me to the 1 password sign-in.
    -I know the email address and Master Password.
    -It also asks for a secret key/ which I don't have. When I click the info icon for the secret key - it says that "If you purchased a standalone license for 1Password, then you don’t have a Secret Key, and you don’t need to sign in when you open the app." - Which is the case for me.
    -Without adding in a Secret Key, the 'Sign in' box remains greyed out.
    -So I am stuck at this step. Am I missing something??
    -On another note, this is the first time I've had to sign in and go through this in the last few years. Normally I just add in my master password and I get my list of log-ins/passwords.

Thanks and look forward to next steps....

• qRorschach
    qRorschach
    Community Member
    Options

You have to provide your secret key in order to activate the 1Password app. Given that you are switching versions of the app you will have to re-authenticate. You have not had to do this over the past few years because you have not logged out of 1Password, only locked the service. Once you provide your secret key you will be back in the same lock-unlock loop.

Again, get your secret key from your 1Password account's emergency kit or 1Password login saved in your vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jordan123: I'm sorry for the confusion! Indeed, you will only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault. using the appropriate option.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Either way, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mbanihani
    mbanihani
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have a membership and need to recover my account since it's locked due to two factor authentication that does not work. Can you help me reset?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mbanihani: It sounds like you may have locked yourself out of your 1Password.com account by not having the authentication code. Is that correct? If so, we may be able to help, but it can a number of days to do so, since there's a verification process and changes that need to be made to your account if everything checks out.

If you are temporarily away from the device where your authentication code is generated, it may be best to wait until you have access to that device again. Alternatively, you could use a device that is already signed in, whether it’s one of the 1Password apps or a browser you’ve signed in with before. The code is only needed when signing into a new device/browser, so you could access your account on an existing device and disable it from there:

1. Click your name in the top right and select My Profile on 1Password.com in a browser where you've already signed in previously
    2. Click More Options on the left and select Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

From there, you can also re-enable 2FA to get a new TOTP secret and set it up again if you wish. Just be sure to save a backup somewhere safe.

Finally, several authenticator apps have backup and recover options. Authy is one example of an app that allows you to recover your 2FA codes if you lose your phone. You can find their instructions here:

https://support.authy.com/hc/articles/115012672088-Restoring-Authy-Access-on-a-New-Lost-or-Inaccessible-Phone

But even if you don’t use Authy, it’s worth checking to see if your authenticator app has options available for recovery.

However, if you're part of a 1Password Teams/Business plan, another admin could help you recover your account, which could allow you to regain access:

https://support.1password.com/recovery

Otherwise, if you won't have access to the device where the authentication code is generated going forward, or any other devices you've already authorized with your 1Password.com account, we'll need you to go through a verification process. Send us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here, and we can proceed.

• mbanihani
    mbanihani
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. someone from the support team reached out and is working on resetting my account

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mbanihani - excellent, Let's keep working via email to see what we can do to help. Fingers crossed! :)

• Jordan123
    Jordan123
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

@brenty Apologies for the lag in replying, just back from winter holidays.
    OK, so I don't have an account as I did a one-time sign-up to 1Password. I won't consider a membership until I can get this sorted.
    So I used 1Password on my personal Mac, and it was not synced to any other devices (not my phone or work laptop). The way it was set up was that I would just enter my secret password and the list of my log-ins and passwords would pop up. So now what do I do?
    This is super frustrating and I have 3 years of passwords and log-ins including my business log-ins. This would be a huge pain to reset.
    Can you let me know next steps? Can someone just call me and help me and sort this privately? Thank you [removed by 1Password staff -- this is a public forum] Thks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jordan123: Ah. That's good to know, as it makes a big difference as far as how to proceed. Without a 1Password membership subscription account, there is no way for you to sign in anywhere. Anyway, we don't have a call center, and there isn't anything we can do to "sort this" for you since we don't even have access to your data, and therefore also cannot grant that to you or anyone else. Using 1Password s a standalone app with a license would mean that you only have your data places where you yourself have put it. I don't really have any details about your setup or what you've done, and if you don't have it stored anywhere else, you will need to start over. There just isn't any way around that. But if you'll let me know what you have to work with, I'll be happy to help walk you through things.

Did you backup your 1Password data at some point?

https://support.1password.com/backups/#you-can-also-create-and-restore-backups-of-local-vaults

Did you copy it to other devices, or sync it somewhere?

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

Also, let me know the specific OS and 1Password version(s) you have, and we'll go from there. :)

This discussion has been closed.