To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Switching from a subscription (US) to an Apple subscription (EU)

palmino
palmino
Community Member

Hi there,

yesterday I got stuck when tried to create a new 1Password account on my iPhone, because the email adress I wanted to use for the new account (Apple subscription within the EU) is the same I had used before (subscription without Apple in the US). iOS regognises that, so I couldn‘t go through the routine to create a new account. I was informed, that emailadress in already in use, I might use another one. So I exited the routine, but now I have a subscription, but can‘t create a new account on iOS.
The email adress I want to use is also the same as the one of my Apple ID.
Could you please help?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @palmino

If you have a subscription that isn't associated with an account I'd recommend canceling that. You can delete the old account so that you can sign up for a new account using the same email address using these instructions:

How to delete your 1Password account

I hope that helps!

Ben

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    thanks for your reply. I think you didn’t quite understand. The new Apple subscription account hasn’t been created yet, although I can see the active subscription in the iOS settings. So I can’t delete an account that hasn’t been created yet.
    And the setup procedure forces me to use the old non-Apple subscription and doesn’t offer me to create a new account, based on the new Apple subscription. And I don’t like to delete the old account before I havn’t transferred my data to the new one.

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

Ah, I think now I get what you mean. The problem is, I subscribed an for an annual subsription which includes two free months in the beginning. So I would have to wait for two months to start a new subscription. And the problem remains that iOS recognised as my old, non-Apple subscription (with the same email adress). How can I make iOS forget, that I’ve used it with another subscription before? I’ve just tried add at a monthly subscription to the annual one and still can’t create a new account.

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

Okay. I have managed to create a new account with another iPhone, where 1Password with my old account has never been used before. Only here I was asked to fill in my email adress. It might be an iOS glitch, that I'm not beeing prompted to enter may email adress after having used another 1Password account before. This time I took my wife's adress and it it worked. I thought can change the email adresses later. But why on earth did I end up on an https://my.1password.com account instead of https://my.1password.eu?
    :'( That was part of the plan....

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2018

Signing up inside the 1Password application is always going to produce a 1Password.com account. To sign up for 1Password.ca or 1Password.eu the signup must be completed through the web interface:

Sorry about that. If you want to pay through Apple do not set up billing on the website. Instead skip the billing section (there is a small link to do so at the bottom of the page) and then add the account to one of the 1Password apps on an Apple device. From there you'll be able to subscribe through Apple.

Ben

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

Haha, don’t make it intuitive :chuffed: !
    Also that custum icons and attachments are note being copied, when moving from account another is a bit uncomfortable to put it mildly. And when I try to move files from one vault to another, they end up in the trash from source vault....hm.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@palmino: Since most people use 1Password.ca or 1Password.eu because they want to pay in those respective currencies and App Store subscriptions are not flexible (in that way as well as others), it wouldn't make any sense for us to try to support them there. Perhaps that will change in the future.

Also that custum icons and attachments are note being copied, when moving from account another is a bit uncomfortable to put it mildly.

Sorry, what's the problem you're having? To be clear, 1Password accounts use Documents, which are separate items, not attachments. I apologize if that's caused any confusion, but it's hard to tell from your comments.

And when I try to move files from one vault to another, they end up in the trash from source vault....hm.

If they weren't deleted, you'd have duplicates. I'm not sure that would be desirable.

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,
    thanks for your reply

it wouldn't make any sense for us to try to support them there

What I was expecting when I created a new 1Pw-account with a European Apple-ID, that the account would be created in Europe, too.
    I still find that obvious.

I was trying to migrate from account to another, beeing signed in to both accounts simoultanously in the desktop app.

Sorry, what's the problem you're having?
    If they weren't deleted, you'd have duplicates. I'm not sure that would be desirable

No, files/documents are not beeing transferred from one account to another! When I then try to move a document (via right click > share), it doesn't end up in the new account, but only in the trash of the old one. Only an empty item is beeing created in the new account with the name of the document.
    When I copy items from one account to another, the custom icons (the colourful little symbols) are not being transferred, too (which I spent a lot of time on).
    I was being informed about this behavior with this message:

That behavior seems to me an unfinished part of the software.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What I was expecting when I created a new 1Pw-account with a European Apple-ID, that the account would be created in Europe, too. I still find that obvious.

@palmino: Not really. As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as a "European Apple-ID". I made my own in the US, but I can change its iTunes/App Store to pretty much any other country -- though my US purchases won't be available there. I agree that big can be confusing though. It's just not a 1Password thing, but rather an Apple thing. Not something we have any control over.

No, files/documents are not beeing transferred from one account to another! When I then try to move a document (via right click > share), it doesn't end up in the new account, but only in the trash of the old one. Only an empty item is beeing created in the new account with the name of the document. When I copy items from one account to another, the custom icons (the colourful little symbols) are not being transferred, too (which I spent a lot of time on). I was being informed about this behavior with this message: That behavior seems to me an unfinished part of the software.

Thanks for letting me know what you're talking about. Indeed, custom templates are a beta feature in 1Password Business/Teams. You cannot transfer those between accounts. You'd need to copy the information manually, as the template only exists in the account where it was created. Everything not depending on a beta feature will copy as expected though. Sorry for the confusion there.

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

With a Euopean Apple ID I meant an Apple ID from a European country.
    Thanks for the disentanglement and happy Holidays for all of you!

• Gotcha. We have no way of knowing what country an Apple ID is registered in. Apple does not share that information with us.

Happy Holidays. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.