Why can I manage a vault, created by my wife?

Pitti
Pitti
Community Member

I am the organizer of our new family account. I've just noticed that I can manage a vault, which was created as a second vault by my wife for her own access. Thus, I can assign me the right to read her secrets! This is not, what I want and surely not, what she wants.
What is wrong? Is this a bug or a feature or our mistake?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.2
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Pitti: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Your wife (just like you or any other family members you invite) will have her own Private/Personal vault to store her secrets. Organizers have the ability to manage permissions for any shared vaults, but a person's own Private/Personal vault is only ever accessible to them no matter what. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Maybe the same request as has been asked before: allow family members to have more than 1 private/personal vault?

(I would like that a lot)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's something that has a lot of usability implications in addition to the technical ones. It would be pretty frustrating/confusing for a user to create a vault, put data in it, and not be able to share it. But that's exactly what would happen with any Private/Personal vault. They're cryptographically inaccessible to anyone else, which is why you'd want them. But at the same time, if and when you decide that you do want to share it with someone, you'd be totally out of luck. Just one example. Certainly I can see the appeal, but things aren't always as simple as we want them to be -- and we need to try to maintain simplicity where we can. :)

• Pitti
    Pitti
    Community Member

@brenty: Thanks a lot for your answer! I understand that there is only one private fault and one vault which is shared with all other family members. The strange thing is, that a family member can add another vault and this new vault is not under his own full control without any notice! The manager can alter the access rights and also delete this vault. This is from my point of view an unexpected behavior. Please review this policy. I am not sure if 1password is the right tool for my family.

I would be happy if 1password would offer the possibility to add and share vaults by a family member wich are under control of this family member and not under control of the manager. E.g. we are missing a vault which can be shared between selected family members and which is not under my control as the manager. It sounds like @XIII has the same idea!

Merry Christmas!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks a lot for your answer!

@Pitti: You're very welcome! :)

I understand that there is only one private fault and one vault which is shared with all other family members. The strange thing is, that a family member can add another vault and this new vault is not under his own full control without any notice! The manager can alter the access rights and also delete this vault. This is from my point of view an unexpected behavior. Please review this policy. I am not sure if 1password is the right tool for my family.

I hear you. Originally it was only possible for Organizers to create vaults at all though, and that had its own problems. Overwhelmingly, we heard from customers that they wanted others to be able to create vaults without having to give them the power of Organizer status, as of course doing so has many more implications, such as the ability to manage people in addition to vaults. So there's a similar tradeoff either way.

I would be happy if 1password would offer the possibility to add and share vaults by a family member wich are under control of this family member and not under control of the manager. E.g. we are missing a vault which can be shared between selected family members and which is not under my control as the manager. It sounds like @XIII has the same idea!

Thanks for the encouragement! It's a bit complex, but we haven't given up. Perhaps we'll come up with a better way of doing things in the future. ;)

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you too! I hope you and your family have a lovely holiday season. :pirate: (←Santa hat, yo)

• drpsychguyguy
    drpsychguyguy
    Community Member

I have 1password 6. I want my wife to be able to access the passwords from her computer and to have 1password6 on her computer as well. How do I set that up so that we share a vault w/ our passwords in it? Can it be done with 1Password6? Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@drpsychguyguy: No 1Password app has that feature. A 1Password Families membership allows for that, since it's our hosted service that allows for securely sharing data. Otherwise you'd need to manually share files with Dropbox, etc.

• Pitti
    Pitti
    Community Member

@drpsychguyguy: I used 1Password 6 with my wife in that way until we switched to 7. Each of us had a private vault and we had a shared vault in a shared Dropbox.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Pitti: Yep. As I mentioned in my comments immediately preceding yours, Dropbox has a file/folder sharing mechanism. :)

This discussion has been closed.