Constant re-locking after update to 1.13.1 [fixed in 1.13.2]

c__
c__
Community Member
edited January 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I'm not sure if I started observing this only on December 22 or if it started slightly earlier. Certainly not a week, though.

Some time quite recently, the 1password X plugin started locking itself extremely frequently. This is contrary to my configuration (auto-lock on sleep, 999 minutes). Pulling open the Chrome developer console on the _generated_background_page.html I see frequent (every few minutes) pages of runtime errors and "[OP] Locked at ." I've had to disable auto-lock for now and that seems to have prevented the problem. I also went ahead and disabled Chrome's extension sync, which I had seen discussed in another forum thread, in case that was related to the behavior.

The exceptions are all of the form "Unchecked runtime.lastError while running contextMenus.create: Cannot create item with duplicate id ; at p.addItems.e [as addItems]; at chrome.contextMenus.removeAll."

I am currently using Chrom(ium) version 68.0.3440.106.

Please let me know if I can help provide any diagnostic / root cause this problem. I'd prefer to re-enable auto-lock but not at the cost of unlocking every 2 minutes.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: X 1.13.1
OS Version: FreeBSD 13-CURRENT
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@c__: Could you try the current, supported release of Chrome/Chromium? Version 68 is half a year old. There's a good chance that will make a difference since I can't reproduce what you're describing and I haven't seen reports like this from others either.

• switkiss
    switkiss
    Community Member

I've seen this on Chrome 71 today since upgrading to 1.13.1. For me it's locking every 5mins, even though I'm actively using the PC during this time.

• lpenhallow
    lpenhallow
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Me too - I had this set to 180 minutues and it was working perfectly until the plugin was updated - now it's locking all the time!!!! chrome v71

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@switkiss, @lpenhallow: Thanks for letting me know! I'm not seeing that here, so I wonder if there's something different about our setups. Can you tell me the OS version and what other extensions you're using in Chrome? Are you by any chance locking your screen?

• lpenhallow
    lpenhallow
    Community Member

Hi Brenty - thanks for the super quick response! I'm using win10, and I have a couple of extensions, adobe, adblock plus (it's disabled for all 1password sites after I saw another issue), and uberagent (for internal metrics).

The issue happened more than a few times when I came into the office this morning, which prompted me to write here. I wasn't locking my screen or anything. After I wrote this however, I completely restarted Chrome to be a good user, and interestingly, it's been unlocked ever since! I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if it re-appears - @switkiss , you might try restarting your Chrome too?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lpenhallow: Interesting. I wonder if something just got hung up during an update. Fingers crossed that it keeps working as expected, but let me know if you encounter any further issues!

• switkiss
    switkiss
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Complete restart of Chrome sorted it for me. I did do a restart of Chrome previously, but Chrome was keeping its processes running so it didn't fix until I manually killed off all the processes. Presumably a PC restart would've solved it to.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@switkiss: Ahh yeah, Chrome is tricky like that on Windows. Thanks so much for the update! Glad to hear that helped you too. :)

• c__
    c__
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

I'll note that turning off auto-lock did not fix the issue for me — it's still locking itself. Also I haven't restarted Chrome in a long time, I'll try that later (can't right now). Thanks @switkiss , @brenty , @lpenhallow for the pointer.

(Edit: Also no, there's no immediate way for me to try Chrome 71 — sorry.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Gotcha. Let us know how it turns out.

• Pecos_Bill
    Pecos_Bill
    Community Member

SORT OF related to this, I see you've decided that I cannot have my old workflow. I cannot leave my computer unlocked so I "lock and walk" and that can happen somewhat frequently and isn't often for very long. I'm never far so the risk is low. Following best practice, my 1 password aka master password is very long and becomes tedious to retype with this new feature whereby you lock 1Password on windows lock. Please put in a switch to allow users to disable this unwanted feature. I have mine set to lock automatically after a fixed amount of time which is sufficient for me.

Using 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You could then also have your computer lock after a similar amount of time, and get the same result. Anyway, sort of off topic, but food for thought. Merry Christmas! :)

• Pinkitty
    Pinkitty
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

EDIT: This seems to have been resolved by restarting Chrome.

Chiming in here to agree with Pecos_Bill: Please change the new "locks when your computer is locked" setting to an option. Super frustrating as a user who must lock/leave workstation often (IT work) but also needs passwords from 1pass every time I use my machine. Having to unlock 1pass every few minutes is far from ideal!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear restarting the browser helped you too. Thanks for the update! :)

• runamonk
    runamonk
    Community Member

Since the last update the 1passwordX keeps idle locking even with locking disabled. It's a tiny bit annoying now hehe.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @runamonk,

Thanks for reporting this.

Are you keeping the same Chrome window all the time? If you close the last tab, Chrome will close and that closes 1Password X, which means it'd lock upon you opening a new tab or window.

• runamonk
    runamonk
    Community Member

Yeah, I don't close Chrome. :) Doing some searching others have reported this same issue on reddit too. I'm thinking you got a new bug in the latest release.

• allynwstone
    allynwstone
    Community Member

I was just logging into the forums to report the same issue. This is making me insane. I've increased the "time out" to 30 minutes on the locking for the extension, but all I have to do is click away from Chrome for a moment and it locks. Driving me nuts.

The only "fix" seems to be if the 1Password application is open (on Mac anyway)... At least so far it hasn't locked now.

• allynwstone
    allynwstone
    Community Member

I lied - it still locks, even while active on other tabs inside of Chrome, long before that 30 minute timeout.

• Pecos_Bill
    Pecos_Bill
    Community Member

Gee, thanks for the non-answer.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Yesterday I received a notification that 1Password X was updated to the most recent version in both Firefox and also in Chrome, and since then I experience the extension locking frequently, even within five minutes of un-locking it and while still using and active on the computer. I would understand locking on inactivity, or upon Windows itself being locked, but I am confused why it locks while I'm still using the computer.

Note: I rebooted the computer [after work yesterday] and today the extension re-locks in both browsers, just as it did yesterday.

Reference:
    Windows 10 Enterprise
    version 1803
    OS build 1713.472

1Password for Windows Version 7.2.617

Firefox 64.0
    1Password X version 1.13.1
    other extensions: 1Password app main extension, 1Password X, and LastPass

Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    1Password X version 1.13.1
    other extensions: LastPass, AdBlock Plus (ABP), HTTPS Everywhere

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Pecos_Bill: You didn't ask a question. No need to be rude. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@runamonk, @allynwstone: I've merged your posts with the existing discussion on this topic. Please restart. That should resolve it for you. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chazzunokuthunuchtec: If you install 1Password X in a new profile, do you still experience the issue? I wonder if there's something cached that's causing this for some people after updating. Reinstalling 1Password X will probably help, but I don't want you to have to re-sign in and configure everything if it doesn't, hence the new profile test. Let me know.

• @brenty please tell me more about "...in a new profile." I have one 1Password.com account and in it four vaults. I prefer my iMac at home, and with it prefer the standard browser extension that interacts and unlocks with the base app; but the problem is on the Windows computer at work, and not on my Mac where I don't use it, which [on Windows at work] is also where they threaten they may remove 1Password client (but luckily 1Password X now exists as a standalone, comparable to LastPass). Anyway, I'd be glad to test. What do you mean with a new profile, please?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chazzunokuthunuchtec: Sorry, I'm referring to browser profile:

Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2364824?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

That will give you a clean testbed without you having to actually delete/reinstall anything.

And while it's a bit off-topic, if you're having trouble with your company not wanting to allow you to use 1Password, shoot us an email at support@1password.com with the details. We'd love to help in any way we can, whether that be helping them understand the security benefits of using it (and the problems inherent in not), or if there's some deployment issue they're struggling with.

• runamonk
    runamonk
    Community Member

I rebooted and I think that resolved the issue for me, it must be a caching issue. The setting is saved but not used until chrome is totally closed and reopened.

• I began to follow the route of the new profile, and found that it created a new browser window without the same extensions, requiring I add the extensions and login anew. Seeing what it would require (that the effort would be about the same as starting over) I stopped the new profile process, and closed that new window, removed the second profile, removed the 1Password X extension, cleared cache and cookies, and re-added the 1Password X extension, and logged in. It has not yet logged me off and it's been about two hours (used to log me off within 5 minutes). For now it seems fixed in both Chrome and Firefox. Not sure how this fixed it (what's different) but it does seem to have cleared this up.

• mtoomajian
    mtoomajian
    Community Member

I have the exact issue. 1Password X locks at random times. Sometimes almost immediately after using it to login to a website, or sometimes 30 mins later, I do not see any pattern. Really strange and surprising. I'm on the latest 1Password X and latest Chrome on Win 10.

This discussion has been closed.