Licenses are valid for one major version only. Membership includes all of the latest versions.

edited January 3 in Purchasing

I wanted to say that i've recently found out that the old 1pasword which i bought for £27 from the mac store is no longer supported and when i bought the app back in 2013, there was no mention that it will not be supported in future so just wanted to say that i am really disappointed in being coned out of my money as i can't afford and don't need the new 1password you are forcing people to buy by not updating the original 1pasword app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@MrEngland2018: Okay, come on. You are not being conned out of or forced into anything. And if you paid for it already years ago, you could obviously afford it, as you've survived without that money for quite a while already. I'm not sure I understand what you expected to happen though, as all software becomes obsolete over time. For example, my old WordPerfect 6 disks aren't much use to me these days either. ;)

However, I think you may just be confused and/or jumping to conclusions. You should be able to install 1Password from your Apple ID purchase history. Have you tried that?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272#apps

And old version will no longer be updated, so OS and browser changes may break it; but if you're using a compatible OS and browser now it will likely work. Anyway, give it a try, and let me know if you have any questions. :)

• Yup, same issue, same disappointment (even though I would have phrased it without the no-money drama). I bought what I understood to be a lifetime license, now once I upgraded my mac and had to download 1Password 7 my license all of a sudden no longer works.

AgileBits can hide behind technicalities like version numbers and these workarounds which are snarkily presented, but at the end of the day, you have at least 2 customers here who want to use your product, and understood that by going with the more expensive "lifetime" option, they'd see more support, not less. Channeling your language: you can obviously support it, and you've survived because of the money that MrEngland and I and thousands of others already paid you in advance years ago. I'm not sure what you expected to happen - disappoint customers and have them just cough up more money when free competitors are getting better and better?

Can I recommend that for customers who purchased these licenses, you continue to support them instead of cutting them off at 7? I can't look back in my Apple purchase history because I downloaded it directly from AgileBits, though. Earning you more money b/c you didn't have to pay Apple. Suggestions, then?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited January 3

Hi @Marhadoe

I bought what I understood to be a lifetime license

I'm sorry but I don't know where that understanding came from. Typically software licenses, including ones purchased from us, are valid only for the version of the product they were purchased for. In-version updates are included, but major upgrades are not. I do apologize you feel misled. This is the upgrade policy that was included when we ran our own store (we no longer sell licenses directly):

I upgraded my mac and had to download 1Password 7 my license all of a sudden no longer works.

It doesn't work with 1Password 7. It'll still work for the version it is for. For example, if you purchased 1Password 6, it'll still work with 1Password 6. 1Password 7 requires either a 1Password subscription membership or a new 1Password 7 license. You are welcome to continue to use 1Password 6 if it continues to work for you, but our recommendation would always be to run the latest available versions of all software.

when free competitors are getting better and better?

Selling 1Password is how we make our living. We don't sell ads or customer data. I'd suggest that it is worth considering what value 1Password provides for you. For me, regardless of my position here, it is indispensable. I also think it is worth asking how a company offering a free product is going to pay their people. If you aren't paying for the product how are they generating revenue? Are you comfortable with the answer to that? "Free" often means either limited/no support, that you are what is being sold by the company, or both. There is a saying: "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch." At the end of the day we want happy customers, not ones who feel locked in. If you aren't happy with what we're offering I'd encourage you to try the competition. But I would caution you to be wary of "free."

Can I recommend that for customers who purchased these licenses, you continue to support them instead of cutting them off at 7?

That, unfortunately, isn't realistic. We actually did provide a number of free upgrades over the years beyond what our upgrade policy allows for. 1Password 3 -> 1Password 4 was the last time we charged for an upgrade, making v5 and v6 free to anyone who held a v4 license. We truly do enjoy being generous when possible, but we can't survive and continue to provide a quality offering on a one-time payment. Like any business would we require recurring revenue in order to continue delivering the level of quality in service and software that folks have come to expect from us. Being that we refuse to sell ads or customer data as a means of recurring revenue, we need to make recurring revenue on 1Password itself. If that isn't what you're looking for then perhaps a different password management solution would be more appropriate.

We do have an offering that includes all upgrades: 1Password membership.

Ben

• Thanks for the detailed response. So, how can I download 1Password6 so I can continue to use it?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You're very welcome. The latest version of 1Password 6 for Mac is available on our downloads page, toward the bottom, under the heading "Using an older computer?"

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Thanks!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

:) :+1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file