1Password keeps asking me to enable Safari extension

random483
random483
Community Member

1Password keeps asking me to enable Safari extension even though it is already enabled. Is there any way to disable this warning? It's very annoying.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.2
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Known problem (discussed in another thread) that AgileBits are working on.

It might be useful if you could report exactly when this occurs. I've had it once, affter going back to my main account following fast user switching.

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Just created a topic with same issue, sorry did not know it was a known issue.

The prompt for me occurs when I log into my desktop user.

I have latest updates and its only started happening today for me, was there some update today that may have caused this?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@telUK - no, nothing that's happened today in terms of updates. However, I'd like you to restart your Mac, and see if that helps the situation any. It has for some users.

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@Lars

Not done that yet, but the minor issue has not happened since anyway, so not sure why it was happening that day I reported it.

Will update if it happens again.

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@telUK - thanks. Let us know if the problem recurs. :)

• damianzawadzki
    damianzawadzki
    Community Member

I have the same problem. Everytime I switch a user no matter it is an administrator or a regular user I have prompt for enable 1password extension in Safari.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the inconvenience. We're investigating if there is a better way to poll Safari to learn that the extension is already enabled. Thanks for your patience while we look into this.

• random483
    random483
    Community Member

This happens constantly to me on a computer with Fast User Switching.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, that's one of the challenges. We're investigating a workaround for that. Hang in there. :)

• isheedm
    isheedm
    Community Member

I get this warning all the time too...

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
    System Version: macOS 10.14.2 (18C54)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 18.2.0

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@isheedm: I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If you disable the extension and enable it again, does that help? Or are you maybe using Fast User Switching and that's mixing things up with whether or not Safari has the 1Password extension enabled? That's something we're looking into.

• isheedm
    isheedm
    Community Member

I think I’m using Fast User Switching. My wife and I use the Switch Users feature a lot.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@isheedm - that's it, yes. As brenty mentioned, we're looking into ways that might be affecting things, but for now, if you're willing to turn off Fast User Switching (and instead have only one user signed in at a time), that may resolve the issue for you in the meantime.

• damianzawadzki
    damianzawadzki
    Community Member

Disabling the extension and enabling it again doesn't help. Moreover it doesn't matter if one user (one of two I switch between) has 1Password extension enabled while another one doesn't. Signing out is not an option for me cause it closes all apps which could be reopened next time I am logged in but it's to slow and inconvenient for me.

• Understood. Unfortunately we don't have a better workaround to offer at the moment. Hopefully we'll be able to continue to improve this such that it won't be an issue anymore.

Ben

• shandy2
    shandy2
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

I'm having the same/similar issues over the past few days (after years of using 1PW without a problem)

1. Safari extension has stopped working at all and can't "see" the 1Password application
    2. Safari extension randomly uninstalls itself and has to be manually re-installed
    3. 1Password is ignoring the setting to enable unlock with TouchID, and is insisting that I unlock with Master Password every time

Screenshot here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ze73715kylsjy3y/2019-01-16 at 13.56.png?dl=0

I've tried restarting the laptop and uninstalling/reinstalling the extension, but the problems persist. I don't have Fast User Switching enabled in MacOS System Preferences.

I'm using:

• 1Password 7.2.4
    • Mojave 10.14.2 on a 15" 2017 MacBook Pro
    • Safari 12.0.2
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @shandy2! I'm sorry for the trouble. Those are multiple, unrelated problems that sound like they're indicative of something larger going on with your specific setup. Did you recently update/upgrade 1Password or change anything else about your system? Perhaps restore from a Time Machine or other backup or re-install macOS? Anything else on your Mac environment that has changed recently, around the time you started noticing these issues?

• shandy2
    shandy2
    Community Member

Thanks for the fast response @Lars

Nothing changed yesterday or Monday (when the problems began). I've not updated 1Password recently (that I'm aware of)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@shandy2 - thanks for the additional info -- when you say "Safari extension randomly uninstalls itself and has to be re-installed," what do you mean? How are you re-installing the 1Password extension (and in what browser)?

• shandy2
    shandy2
    Community Member

@Lars The 1PW icon disappears (without my intervention) from the Safari toolbar and from the list of installed extensions in the Safari Preferences.

I then re-install (to Safari) via the 'Install Browser Extensions' link in the 1PW7 App menu.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@shandy2 - that'll be a major portion of the issue, then. Because you are using a current version of 1Password 7 for Mac, I was expecting this not to be an issue, but in Safari 12 and in all 1Password 7 for Mac versions from 7.2 and later, there IS no separate, standalone extension for Safari. In Safari 12, Apple replaced the traditional .safariextz extensions we've all been used to using (and continue to use, in Firefox and Chrome) with the brand-new Safari App Extension format. This new type of extension will be required in the future, and it's actually built into the app itself, so it's installed automatically when you install 1Password 7 for Mac (7.2 and later). This is why the older version you keep trying to re-install winds up "disappearing" -- because 7.2.4 removes the older version and installs the new Safari App Extension version, since 7.2+ requires it and cannot use the older style of extension.

Please open Safari's Preferences > Extensions. If you see an extension with the version 4.7.x, disable and remove it. Then please restart both Safari and 1Password 7 for Mac (Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q - or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). You may have to do this more than once in the case of Safari. Check to make sure 1Password 7 for Mac has successfully re-installed an extension with the same version number as the main app (7.2.4). Let me know how that goes for you.

• shandy2
    shandy2
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars

In between your previous message and your most recent message I uninstalled & reinstalled the 1PW application and rebooted the laptop.

Everything seems to be working again :)

• shandy2
    shandy2
    Community Member

@Lars btw, it's a credit to AgileBits that I've been using 1PW every day for years on iOS & MacOS, and this is literally the first problem I've had.

Also, kudos for your quick replies in the forum.

Much appreciated.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@shandy2 - excellent! Glad restarting solved your issue. And thanks for the kind words. Going forward, remember; you do not need to (and in fact, cannot) install a separate browser extension into Safari 12 or later.

• damianzawadzki
    damianzawadzki
    Community Member

Hi guys, how is it going with this issue? Still waiting for some path while it's getting more annoying when user switching is more frequent. Any news?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@damianzawadzki - no, we don't normally pre-announce release dates for new versions, as many factors (some beyond our control) affect them. Please stay tuned. 😀

• DonHunt
    DonHunt
    Community Member

I use fast user switching and have also experienced these prompts to enable the 1Password extension in Safari. It sounds like you have a handle on the symptoms, but I figure it won't hurt to include a snapshot of the Safari extension state that pops up for me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @DonHunt! Thanks for the screenshot, but let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly here: this is the window that pops up for you? Or this is just a snapshot of the current extension you have installed?

• DonHunt
    DonHunt
    Community Member

I just repeated the scenario so I could describe the details accurately.

• I locked my screen, and then authenticated to get back into my session.
    • A popup with the 1Password icon appeared which said "Enable 1Password in Safari Save your passwords and sign in to your online account on the web". The popup contained Close and Enable.
    • I clicked on the popup message content (not Close or Enable) and the Safari extension appeared (the one I attached in my first message).
    • The popup stayed on the screen until I clicked its Close button.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DonHunt - ah, OK, thanks for the clarification. This has been solved in the newest beta, so if you're running 1Password 7 for Mac from our website (instead of the Mac App Store), and you don't mind running beta software, you can enable the beta versions (click the "Include Beta Versions" button in Preferences > Updates) and get the fix for this issue right away (make sure you close Safari first before updating). Or, if you prefer, feel free to wait until this version is released in the stable channel. :)

This discussion has been closed.