Remove family member - convert to individual plan

chris970
chris970
Community Member

Hello,

If I have a family plan, I understand how to remove a family member(s) and convert my account to an individual plan.

For the family member that I remove, how do they convert their account to an individual account? For example, I remove family member "Joe", how does Joe maintain his private vault info and create his own individual account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

For the family member that I remove, how do they convert their account to an individual account?

@chris970: They cannot. That account is part of your membership. They would need to sign up for a membership of their own and copy the items from the old account to the new one. Do not delete their account from your membership until they have migrated their data, or they will lose it.

• chris970
    chris970
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the quick reply. Can that user (family member) sign up for an individual account using the same email address that was assigned to them in the family membership, or do they need to use a different email?

Perhaps I missed it, but it would be great if this process was explained in the documentation/knowledgebase.

Thanks.

• chris970
    chris970
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the quick reply. Can that user sign up for an individual account using the same email address assigned to them for the family membership, or do they need to use a different email?

Perhaps I missed it, but it would be great if this process was explained in the documentation/knowledgebase.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the quick reply. Can that user sign up for an individual account using the same email address assigned to them for the family membership, or do they need to use a different email?

@chris970: They can use the same email address with a single individual membership and one or more team or family memberships. The only thing they can't do is have multiple individual memberships under the same email address. :)

Perhaps I missed it, but it would be great if this process was explained in the documentation/knowledgebase. Thanks.

What did you have in mind exactly?

• chris970
    chris970
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification, exactly what I needed to know.

In terms of the documentation, an FAQ or article describing exactly what you explained would be helpful: how to separate a family member into their own dedicated individual account and migrate their data (I only found info on how to downgrade the primary account holder from a family plan to an individual plan - I just assumed, wrongly, that the individual family members would retain their data and then have the opportunity to convert their account to a paid individual plan). Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! :)

I'm not sure it makes sense to document everything 1Password does not do. And in this case that would be like Gmail documenting that you need to move your data if you create another email account. But it's something we can evaluate, and we're always here to answer these kinds of questions if they come up. Happy New Year! :chuffed:

• owenlewis
    owenlewis
    Community Member

I have the Family plan. There is not an option to delete a family member on the "Actions" drop down menu. The only option available is "Suspend". How do I remove a family member so I can convert back to an Individual membership?

• Hi @owenlewis,

Just to be sure we're talking about the same spot...

To confirm: that is not what you're seeing?

Ben

• owenlewis
    owenlewis
    Community Member

No. I am on the "people" page and it doesn't look anything like that nor does the "actions" drop down menu.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@owenlewis - well, right. You have a list of people with First Name, Last Name, Email and Status across the top, right? But if you click any one of those people's (first) names, you should get to their details page, which will include their authorized devices, and then (on the left) the image Ben posted above, right? Click "More Actions," and you should see the options to Suspend or Delete that user.

• owenlewis
    owenlewis
    Community Member

Got it. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@owenlewis - you're quite welcome! Glad Ben and I were able to help. :)

• crobinson
    crobinson
    Community Member

I have to agree it would have been very helpful if this was better explained. Now I have family members that I have to explain their years of passwords is gone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I agree as well that it would be better to have a scarier warning when confirming deletion. Thanks for your feedback on this. I'll pass that on to the team. I think it would be even better if a user could be split off into a separate membership, but that's much more complex and more of a long-term goal.

ref: dev/b5/b5#6881

This discussion has been closed.