1Password version 6 versus 7? [same security, but using an outdated OS/browser is not safe]

tko777tko777
edited January 3 in Purchasing

I am using version 6.8.8 and I am thinking to upgrade to version 7; however, I am using 1password for only one MacPro. I serched my answer, but no luck. The flowing is my question: (1). Version 6 is not safe to use any longer since you do support nor update version 6? (2). Can I still use version 6 for next few years without any security issues? Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @tko777

I'd be happy to help with these questions, but unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be able to give answers that are as straight forward as you might like. These simply aren't black or white questions.

The flowing is my question: (1). Version 6 is not safe to use any longer since you do support nor update version 6?

1. Safety is relative, dynamic, and not something that is easy (if even possible) to apply an objective measurement.
    2. I'm not aware of any currently known security vulnerabilities with 1Password 6.

Can I still use version 6 for next few years without any security issues?

I would not be comfortable making that claim. Security is a moving target and so software that is 'frozen in time' and thus unable to adapt to that movement is not ideal. The long and short of it is that we would always recommend running the latest versions of 1Password, your operating system, your web browser, and any other software for that matter. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• brentybrenty

Team Member

In case it helps clarify, both 1Password 6 and 7 are using the exact same security model. It's possible that a bug could be found in 1Password 6 in the future, but the more important thing is keeping your OS and browser up to date, since outdated versions of those do have known vulnerabilities that could be exploited -- and doing so would allow you to use the latest 1Password release as well. Cheers! :)

• Thank you for Ben and Brenty for a quick response. After your information, I did download Version 7 and it seem to be working well. I will pay for a subscription proir to “Free 30 days” is up. Thank you again.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Glad to hear it. You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file