Mistakenly "upgraded" to OPVAULT version, want to revert, can't find old vault

So I've been getting nagging reminders on my Android that I need to "upgrade" to the new OPVAULT version. Fine. I figured this meant I'd need to pay for an updated WIndows version. Also fine.

Then I found that this would require a lifetime commitment of monthly billing, which is NOT fine.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled the Android version, and tried to find the vault in Dropbox. I went to a folder named /1Password 2.legacyagilekeychain, and tried navigating to each of the lower-level folders, and no matter what I did, I got an error saying there was no 1Password vault found.

When I look at that folder directly in Dropbox, I see 1Password.html, AgileKeychain.ico, and desktop.ini. None of these are correct, of course.

I created a fake logon using the existing desktop version, and a file was created in the /1Password 2.legacyagilekeychain/data/default folder, so I know something is still there.

Some threads from 2017 claim that a one-time fee is still an option but it's really, really not recommended unless you are up to the task of configuring it yourself. I'm reasonably tech-savvy and am not especially daunted by this, and I hate Hate HATE how everything is going to a pay-forever model.

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

So I've been getting nagging reminders on my Android that I need to "upgrade" to the new OPVAULT version. Fine. I figured this meant I'd need to pay for an updated WIndows version. Also fine.

@MZ123: Untrue. The previous version of 1Password for Windows also supports OPVault.

Then I found that this would require a lifetime commitment of monthly billing, which is NOT fine.

Also untrue. You can find pricing and other details in the announcement detailing what's new:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

So I uninstalled and reinstalled the Android version, and tried to find the vault in Dropbox. I went to a folder named /1Password 2.legacyagilekeychain, and tried navigating to each of the lower-level folders, and no matter what I did, I got an error saying there was no 1Password vault found. When I look at that folder directly in Dropbox, I see 1Password.html, AgileKeychain.ico, and desktop.ini. None of these are correct, of course. I created a fake logon using the existing desktop version, and a file was created in the /1Password 2.legacyagilekeychain/data/default folder, so I know something is still there.

If you rename it to .agilekeychain, it will work. But 1Password 7 uses only OPVault, so you'd still need to convert to the newer format.

Some threads from 2017 claim that a one-time fee is still an option but it's really, really not recommended unless you are up to the task of configuring it yourself. I'm reasonably tech-savvy and am not especially daunted by this, and I hate Hate HATE how everything is going to a pay-forever model.

Then buy a license for the new version or continue using the old one. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file