new machine, fresh install, cannot open the agile keychain file...

Options
nomar2408
nomar2408
Community Member

Hi all,

I just switched from a company laptop to a new one, so I have a complete new machine and downloaded the latest version of 1password and I cannot pick the agilekeychain file from my dropbox folder. Also a new empty vault and importing is not working. I don't know how to login in an empty vault and it is quite confusing to me. I paid within the last 10 years a couple of times for Mac Standalone, Mac AppStore and I have also the IOS version with was paid through the App Store.

In my emails I find the latest license information from Dezember 14. I don't know if I had version 7 running on my previous Mac but at least I had a running version and I don't want to pay once again - this was already quite much in total :)

Can somebody please let me know how to proceed? How to I know wich download I need to start and where to find this to get my 1password running with the agilekeychain file?

Thanks a lot
Ramon

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nomar2408
    nomar2408
    Community Member
    Options

okay, I just downloaded a 1password 6 version from the website and I was able to get my agilekeychain file to open up everything correctly.

But if I understand right, there was a recent new major release with 1password 7 which needs to be paid once again and only through a subscription model for 36$ per year?

Can I just continue with 1password 6 or what will be the negative aspect? Is there any discount for long users with multiple purchases? How does this new model affects the whole App Store part on MacOS and iOS?

Thanks a lot!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nomar2408 - I'm sorry for the confusion!

I just downloaded a 1password 6 version from the website and I was able to get my agilekeychain file to open up everything correctly.

Excellent! You should always download the version for which you have a license. Licenses, as it sounds like you know, are for the version you purchased, not (necessarily) the newest version we have at the time you decide to re-install or install on a new computer.

if I understand right, there was a recent new major release with 1password 7 which needs to be paid once again...

This part is exactly right!

...and only through a subscription model for 36$ per year?

This part is not. 1Password 7 for Mac is indeed a new version requiring a new purchase, but it can be either a 1password.com subscription OR a new standalone license. We are no longer selling a standalone version of 1Password 7 via the Mac App Store; that version is now subscription-only. But if you visit our downloads page and download/install from there, you'll get the Purchase Options screen which will allow you to choose the standalone license option, like this:

Is there any discount?

Yes! New licenses for version 7 are currently on sale at the "launch special" price of $49.99, though I don't know for how much longer. That's over 23% off the regular price of $64.99 which they will return to at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Can I just continue with 1password 6?

You can always use existing licenses to install and run the version of 1Password for which they were purchased, providing you have hardware and versions of both macOS and browser on which it will run.

...or what will be the negative aspect?

For the moment, 1Password 6 for Mac will work on the current version of macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), despite it being released after 1Password 6 was retired. But that may not always be the case. Most users tend to upgrade their hardware every few years, and stay up to date with both macOS updates as well as browser updates. If you continue to update those things while you remain on a legacy version of 1Password, eventually there will be compatibility issues. For example 1Password 3 for Mac will not work really at all on Mojave, and version 4 doesn't work too well. As a security company, we can't recommend staying on a legacy version of 1Password while you continue to update everything else, as any kind of a viable long-term solution. Hope this was helpful! :)

• nomar2408
    nomar2408
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

thanks for this detailed and structured answer. That helped a lot and now I know :) Maybe one last question regarding my purchased iOS app - is this a "lifetime" payment or same "issue" like the desktop software?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nomar2408 - we've had more than one version of 1Password for iOS over the years, but most of that was due to the fact that Apple has not always offered in-app purchases. However, for quite some time now, 1Password for iOS has been a free to download (and use) app that has the option of an in-app purchase of the Pro features, for those who want them. I can't say what the future will hold for certain, but if I had to guess, I'd imagine it will remain that way for some time, certainly for the indefinite future.

• nomar2408
    nomar2408
    Community Member
    Options

okay thanks. And how do I know what I have? I purchased once for the iOS app.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nomar2408 - you can check your version number in the app itself. Assuming it's not VERY old, that would be in Settings, underneath the "Review 1Password" button, in small gray print. Hope that helps! :)

• nomar2408
    nomar2408
    Community Member
    Options

i have version 7.25 but I purchased only once.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nomar2408 - right. If your purchase was the $9.99, in-app purchase to unlock 1Password for iOS's Pro features, then you're good. :) While I don't have a crystal ball regarding future plans, we haven't charged for an upgrade to 1Password for iOS in quite some time.

This discussion has been closed.