LastPass migration problems

Options

I am IT Director for our organization and would like to roll out 1Password as widely as possible. One of our users (Windows) attempted to migrate to 1Password. however he reports the following:

Just FYI. I hate 1Password right now. More than useless and time sink. I transferred by LastPass passwords (250+) back when you set me up, but it would never work. I have not had time to look into it until this week’s break.
Come to find out:
It copied all passwords with spaces between each character. So I have had to manually go through all 250 and fix that. That is a rather laborious task itself.
After getting part way through I also discovered that not a single URL worked (all opened to a blank page)
Have had to go back through all 250 and copy the URL, then edit and past the same URL into the same box and resave. Then it recognizes and opens correctly.
When I want to open a site with an 8 character password, I have to type my 35 character 1Password login every time on my phone, tablet, or computer.
Not really efficient.
Then I discovered that I had two of several tags that apparently saved with different fonts or something. So I have some items tagged Blogging and separate set also tagged Blogging (6 different tags did this). So had to manually go through all tags and retype them to get all tagged the same.

The password spaces and URLs not working are the main concerns.

Tags, not sure. I don't use tags, but he seems to use and need them.

A 35 character password seems like overkill, but he can also adjust settings so it doesn't need the password each time. I've asked how LastPass was set up (did it not need a password every time?)...seems like he can set them both up the same way, right?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: WIndows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @CTYankee, and welcome to the 1Password family! It would help to know how your user imported from LastPass and if he has made any changes to his passwords since importing. I'm just guessing at this point, but I have an inkling he may have imported from CSV in one of his apps or something, rather than using the LastPass-specific importer in the web app. Although near any password manager will export to CSV, everyone formats their CSVs differently so our importers have to be designed to cope with a given password manager's formatting. When you use the built-in importers, it tends to work well, but your mileage may vary importing with the generic CSV importer unless you alter the CSV's formatting. If I'm right, he hasn't made any changes and he still has his LastPass export available, redoing the import should sort out the issues with his items, including the spaces in his passwords and the URL and tag issues. If you could ask him and let me know, that would be great.

As for unlocking, he can not only set his autolock timer to be longer, he can also set up biometric unlocking on all of his devices, if he'd like. Instructions to find autolock settings are here:

https://support.1password.com/auto-lock/

And here are the biometric options for Android, PC, Mac, and iOS.

I hope this helps with some of his issues now and, once I hear more about his import process, we'll tackle the issues with his data. Thanks! :chuffed:

• CTYankee
    CTYankee
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @bundtkate. I suspect you are right. I also let him know about the biometric support. He did fix all the data manually, but I will ask how he did the import. I will be sure to let LastPass users know to use the LastPass importer.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@CTYankee ,

Most likely your user exported / saved as UTF-16 instead of UTF-8. This is the only thing that would account for "spaces" in-between each character. See what happens:

I'm guessing the Windows app isn't dealing with this file format, or expecting it, since UTF-8 is typical and is the prescribed format.

• Good shout, @MrC! @CTYankee, if you can ask him about that as well, that'd be great. The Windows app doesn't presently import anything other than 1PIF and OVault/AgileKeychain, but our web app team may be able to improve things if MrC is correct and I'd love to give them a heads up if that turns out to be the case. :+1:

• CTYankee
    CTYankee
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @MrC and @bundtkate. I'll report back what he tells me.

• Thanks, @CTYankee! Both for your help here and taking on the task of getting everyone using 1Password. I hope your users appreciate the work you're doing. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.