1PW database compatibility between 1Pw6 and 1Pw7

Options
Scott_mac
Scott_mac
Community Member

I'm currently using 1Pw6 (purchased license) with FireFox on an older mini with El Capitan (10.11), and can't upgrade the OS. I'm transitioning to a brand new MacBook Air with Mojave (10.14), using DropBox for the Vault. It's going to take some time (lots of apps and versions and licenses and other activities) to complete the transition, so I want to run 1Pw on both devices in the interim, hopefully using the common Vault. Is this feasible ? Either way, can I do a simple non-subscribe upgrade to 1Pw7.2 or so ?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6 and 10.14.2
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Scott_mac - good that you're planning ahead for this! The most important thing of all to note in this gradual migration is that in 1Password 7 for Mac we have retired the older-style Agile Keychain format of sync keychain for Dropbox. So that means, have a look either in 1Password Preferences > Sync or in your Dropbox folder itself, and check whether you're using that older Agile Keychain format or already using the newer OPVault format. If you're using OPVault, you're set; it will work seamlessly between 1Password 6 for Mac on El Capitan and 1Password 7 for Mac on Mojave.

If you find that you're using the older format, however, please use these instructions to switch from Agile Keychain to OPVault before you try migrating or installing version 7 on Mojave, as it simply won't work if you're still using Agile Keychain.

Regarding upgrading, you'll need to install 1Password 7 for Mac directly from our downloads page (and NOT from the Mac App Store), as we're only selling standalone licenses directly through our own version anymore. A standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac is currently at the launch-special price of $49.99, but will be returning to the standard price of $64.99 soon, so I wouldn't wait if that's the route you're planning to go. Convert your keychain from Agile Keychain to OPVault first (if needed), then download version 7 from us on your new Mac and run the installer. On first-run, choose the Dropbox option and at the Purchase Options screen, select the standalone license option:

Let us know if you have any trouble or additional questions! :)

• Scott_mac
    Scott_mac
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent ! Thanks, Lars.
    I am using OPVault, in DropBox, so I guess I'm on track.
    I'll double-check everything and do the download (at the launch-special price !) of 1Pw7 tonight.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Scott_mac - awesome! Let us know if you have any problems or questions. Happy upgrading! :)

• Scott_mac
    Scott_mac
    Community Member
    Options

So close ... but not quite yet. Downloaded, installed, paid the fee and got the license info. Never saw an option for DropBox, but software apparently found the OPVault as it came up with all my web sites with the proper usernames and passwords. And the 'license' link shows I'm licensed. Tried three different sites by clicking the appropriate icons - 1Pw took me to each site properly, but there was no activity (cursor or text) in the logon boxes for any of the sites. Did I miss something obvious ? TNX

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Scott_mac - Did you actually apply your license? You'll need to follow the instructions in the email you received along with your license to apply it into 1Password. You can check by clicking 1Password > License. If you see the license seal icon and your details, you're licensed. If not, then you still need to do those steps before 1Password's extension will be fully functional.

• Scott_mac
    Scott_mac
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, that's not it. 1Pw7 shows "You are licensed! License 1Password for Mac" with my name and Purchase date of January 7, 2019.. I've still got 1Pw6 installed in Applications if that might make any difference

• Scott_mac
    Scott_mac
    Community Member
    Options

Followup. What I'm getting is the same as when I tried to logon using my original 1Pw6 on the Mojave: the site came up with the usual logon page, but 1Pw didn't input anything into the logon box, and I didn't even see a cursor symbol or anything to indicate that it was trying to enter text into the logon. And it's definitely executing 1Pw7. Mysteriouser and mysteriouser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Scott_mac: Forgive me, but I'm not sure what you're using at this point. If it's 1Password 6, that won't work with Safari going forward, as Apple has deprecated the old extensions. You will need to use a different browser if you want to continue using 1Password 6 -- and Trash any other copies of 1Password you're not using to avoid other issues.

If you're using 1Password 7, that has a new Safari App Extension that will work going forward, but you will need to enable it in Safari Preferences > Extensions. And, again, make sure you get rid of any other copies of 1Password. One is ideal.

Let me know if that helps, or the specifics of what you're using and what steps you're taking if you're still running into trouble. :)

• Scott_mac
    Scott_mac
    Community Member
    Options

As I mentioned in my original post. I am using 1Password 7 (7 .2.4) on Mojave with FireFox. I had previously tried 1Password 6, using FireFox, when I first acquired the new Mojave machine - just as I have done for years on my existing Mac Mini with El Capitan. The results/actions appear to be the same fpr both 6 and 7 - proper presentation to the requested site, then no apparent action to fill in the logon boxes. 1Password is obviously getting the correct (original) data - URL and logon data - from the OPVault as I can see the proper password data when I Edit an entry. I have never tried 1Password with Safari - if the new (7) 1Password does not work with FireFox I can change, but I admit I don't see how to effect this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Scott_mac - OK, thanks for the clarification. Do you have 1Password's extension downloaded, installed and enabled in Firefox? If not, you'll need to visit our downloads page and grab the Firefox extension and install it. If you've already done that, I'd try uninstalling what you have and installing a fresh copy. If that doesn't solve the issue, can you tell me whether the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/ exists, and if so, whether the file 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json is inside it?

• Scott_mac
    Scott_mac
    Community Member
    Options

So close ... but not quite yet. Downloaded, installed, paid the fee and got the license info. Never saw an option for DropBox, but software apparently found the OPVault as it came up with all my web sites with the proper usernames and passwords. And the 'license' link shows I'm licensed. Tried three different sites by clicking the appropriate icons - 1Pw took me to each site properly, but there was no activity (cursor or text) in the logon boxes for any of the sites. Did I miss something obvious ? TNX

• Scott_mac
    Scott_mac
    Community Member
    Options

Bingo ! Up and running like a champ. I didn't realize (been a long time since I did a fresh install) I needed to do a separate nbrowser extension. All's well now. Thanks muchly. Scott

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Scott_mac - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I'm glad I was able to help you get things squared away. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

This discussion has been closed.